Best DVD authoring software

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason B
    • Sep 2005

I can't get anything to work right. I have a 800mb mpeg file I want to burn to a DVD. When I try to open it in TMPG DVD, it says, "The video GOP is too long, Dvd video standard requires the GOP is stuctured as below.

This happens for any mpeg files I've tried to use in this progra. Help! What else can I try? I've tried windvd creator and it crashes, TMPG isn't working for me.

All I want to do is take raw avi or mpg's and make them play in a home dvd. Please give me other options.

Comment

• fritzi93
      • Sep 2005

Sounds like for the time being, you could use an all-in-one converter. Load the file, one-click and it converts to MPEG2, then authors to DVD. All you gotta do is burn it. Be advised all-in-ones generally are somewhat inferior in flexibility and quality. But here are two free ones that aren't too bad:

Are you a video maker, or do you just want to watch? Find the best video software for Windows, Mac, and mobile, whether you want to be the next YouTube star or just need a great media player for watching movies. These apps help you capture video, edit video, convert files, share with friends, and customize your video playback.

Comment

• Jason B
        • Sep 2005

Thanks for the reply. Now the question is, will these programs take an existing mpeg file, that isn't mpeg 2 format, and do the same thing?

Comment

• fritzi93
          • Sep 2005

Originally Posted by Jason B
          Thanks for the reply. Now the question is, will these programs take an existing mpeg file, that isn't mpeg 2 format, and do the same thing?
          VSO will, assuming the file's okay. No menu, no way of controlling bitrate, etc. But since you asked for other options, you could give it a try. Good luck.

Comment

• tigerman8u
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2003

Dvd2svcd is a good program also. Don't let the name fool you cause it converts alot of formats. iirc Vso is no longer free but it is a decent program and easy to use

Comment

• fritzi93
              • Sep 2005

Originally Posted by tigerman8u
              Dvd2svcd is a good program also. Don't let the name fool you cause it converts alot of formats. iirc Vso is no longer free but it is a decent program and easy to use
              Yes, but the free version of DivXtoDVD is still available, so I suppose it's okay to provide a link. That is, unless and until VSO requests otherwise. (Like when Pegasys requested download sites no longer offer the last freeware version of TMPGEnc, v.12a. That was an MPEG2 licensing issue, if memory serves).

Anyway, I like DVD2SVCD as well. Lotta settings for a novice to deal with, though.

Comment

• turet
                • Dec 2003

I started this authoring stuff about a year or two ago. I got lots of great advice on this forum. The best of which was to use TMPGE DVD Author and DVD Shrink. There isn't much I can't do with just those two (cheap/free) programs. Don't even think about Roxio, Sonic or any of that. With my old capture device the Ulead Video Studio 7 (which may have been a lite version, I'm not sure), pulled the audio and video out of sync if the files were very large (like movie length). I never had a problem with DVD Author.

The other program that was recommended to me here was DVD Lab. This does have more capabilities than TMPGE - like the ability to switch out audio tracks/file types and to completely customize the menus so they start and loop around to exactly the points you want - but if you're newbie I'd say start with TMPGE.

Comment

• atifsh
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2003

its been some time that iv used TMPGEnc but,
                  if my memory works versions before tmphenc xpress came, with few days of mpeg2 encoding, im taking bout tmpgencodr not the dvd author, it let u import any mpeg file and reincode into dvd structure file..... am i mistakin ?
                  Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• DiscCoasterPro
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • Sep 2005

I'm new to editing and authoring also. I purchased both Ulead VS9 and DVD Workshop 2. So far, I've yet to have a need for the editing capabilites of VS9. Assembling video clips and chapters with submenus and slideshows are so far so good with DVD Workshop. I've only put together a half dozen or so DVDs so far, but its all I've needed.

thanks,

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

jason b

"I can't get anything to work right. I have a 800mb mpeg file I want to burn to a DVD. When I try to open it in TMPG DVD, it says, "The video GOP is too long, Dvd video standard requires the GOP is stuctured as below.

This happens for any mpeg files I've tried to use in this progra. Help! What else can I try? I've tried windvd creator and it crashes, TMPG isn't working for me.

All I want to do is take raw avi or mpg's and make them play in a home dvd. Please give me other options"

before you can load them into tmpgenc dvd author, you need to encode them to dvd compliant files with "REGULAR" tmpgenc (a different program) this is why you get the GOP error.

@atifish
                      "its been some time that iv used TMPGEnc but,
                      if my memory works versions before tmphenc xpress came, with few days of mpeg2 encoding, im taking bout tmpgencodr not the dvd author, it let u import any mpeg file and reincode into dvd structure file..... am i mistakin ?"

i haven't seen anything like that....
                      Last edited by LT. Columbo; 24 Sep 2005, 12:15 PM.
                      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                      Columbo moments...
                      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Jason B
                        • Sep 2005

Originally Posted by fritzi93
                        VSO will, assuming the file's okay. No menu, no way of controlling bitrate, etc. But since you asked for other options, you could give it a try. Good luck.
                        Ok, I downloaded VSO, http://www.download.com/VSO-DivXtoD...4-10376028.html

Now, I have two mpeg files. How will this work? The program seems to only take them 1 by 1. Will it join them for me?

Comment

• prodoreda
                          • Oct 2005

maybe im a little late for this disscussion but i have to say that in my personal experince, the best authoring tool has to be dvd architect 3, gives excelent results for menu based dvds or single movie dvds, this version has multi-angle support, psd import menus, multi-audio, securty, region encoding, etc. great tool. you can download a demo at sonymediasoftware.com
                          Its a little expensive thoug

Comment

• blutach
                            Not a god of digital video
                            • Oct 2004

Thanks for the info prodoreda. Sounds good.

Regards
                            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• cyrano
                              • Jan 2004

Editing software w/good crossfades & no dropped frames

Hi -

I thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

I have had good results with my Ulead videostudio 6 software. Good, but not great. The crossfades are snappy and showy but not subtle. I really like the simple crossfades in Windows Moviemaker. I do not like the wmv file I end up with. I have tried to use all of my DVD burning (and converting) software. I always end up with dropped frames on the DVD. And, of course Moviemaker doesn't burn directly to DVD. The finished product looks great run from my HTPC.
                              I tried a 3 year old demo program last night. I think it is Video Factory by Sonic Foundry. This program have some REALLY nice transitions. From simple cross fades to more elaborate. I liked it. I didn't find some tasks that the Videostudio 6 does. One task is to find all the scene changes in a file and place cuts. That really helps put together a video. This program also did not have provisions for burning to a DVD. I found that when I went online to find the newest version info, they had sold rights to Sony. Sony has the Vegas software. Any thoughts about it?
                              I haven't been that impressed with the Sonic MYDVD software. And I don't use Roxio. (Is the Creator 8 suite any good?)
                              My Nero Smartsuite can burn but I do end up with dropped frames when I convert from another software's output.

I have used TMPG for editing TV programs and transferred Laserdiscs and I find it to be excellent. Very bugfree. Nice clean output. But no editing transitions. (I don't need the transitions for these transfers.)

So, any recommendations? I want software with at least a good, clean scene to scene crossfade (not fadeout and fadein, but that's nice to have too) and the ability to burn a DVD.

Thanks!
                              - Mike

Comment

• atifsh
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • May 2003

yes get the newer and better videostudio 9
                                Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...