• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DiscCoasterPro
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Sep 2005

Capturing using various miniDV tapes

Hi all. I hope I'm posting this in an acceptable location. My question is based on a few of my friends asking me if I would create a DVD for them from their miniDV tapes. I don't mind helping out and doing it, however a few questions arise.

My own camcorder is a relatively new panasonic gs200. One that I surely would not want to ruin in the process of helping others by inserting a variety of miniDV tapes in it for capture on my PC. On the other hand, I really don't want folks to leave their own camcorder with me unless I absolutely have to. I don't want the extra equipment around, nor do I really want to be responsible for a camcorder problem while it is in my possession.

I didn't know if it was a problem running others tapes through my camcorder, or if it is advised not to, or if its not an issue at all.

Another thought that ran through my mind was, that if I found lots of people are looking for help with this, I might fool around with it as a sideline. At that point, I'm wondering if it would be wise to pickup a cheap dedicated camcorder to use for transfers, or if I could only trust the capture quality coming from the camcorder it was originally shot with.

thanks for your input!
    DCP
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

Hi DiscCoasterPro,

Before I used to think selfishly that helping friends converting their miniDV tapes to DVDs would eventually damage my expensive camcorder. Then I've realized that miniDV tapes are not like VHS tapes. With VHS tapes, we can play them with any settop players which sit in the living room or bed room collecting dirt all the time. However with your expensive camcorder, you would always baby it, wouldn't you? You wouldn't re-record again and again with the same tape because miniDV tapes aren't expensive any more and what happen if you'll need the precious old videos which you've already erase? Let's just worry about the high tech devices become obsolete so fast that we have to spend too much money for something we only use for a few times and have never had a chance to learn how to use it completely

Regards

Comment

• DiscCoasterPro
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Sep 2005

Hmm.. I appreciate your reply, but i'm embarrased to admit, ya lost me I'm sorry.

Comment

Working...