Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeromeERome
    • Apr 2002

16:9 Divx to 4:3 DVD

I just got a DVD+RW drive and am new to all this MPEG2 stuff. I have many Divx movies that I have collected and am interested in turning into DVDs. The problem I am running into is that my dvd software (DVD Fusion and Sonic DVDit) doesnt seem to support 16:9 ratio. All of the test discs I have made end up all squished up. What kind of process do I need to do to my file to change it to a 4:3 ratio without the squishing effect?
  • Russ33
    • Mar 2002

16:9 to 4:3 conversion

I hate to say this but probably the cheapest way to do it is buy an authoring program that is able to do 16:9. A compatable probram will put in the flags for the player to read the widescreen properly and display it letterboxed. OR you could use After Effects of Cleaner and manually crop it. Also Cinestream and I believer Premier offer pan scan effects (which is the way Hollywood does it) But then you need to find an encoder and Authoring program that will do pan scan.

I havent really looked but I'm sure theres an Authoring program thats 16:9 compatable for around $150. That's by far the way to go.

Russ

Comment

• Ndb
      • Mar 2002

<b>JeromeERome</b>

Stick your movies through TMPGenc using the DVD template for your format (i.e. PAL or NTSC) and the bitrate size to fit your movie. The Wizard works fine.

Whilst going through the Wizard near the end choose <b>Expert</b> (or click settings) and click the <b>Advanced</b> tab.

Change the <b>Source Aspect Ratio</b> to 2.11:1 display or 16:9 depending on your divx movie AR (2.11:1 works best for me).

Now change the <b>Video Arrange Method</b> to <b>Center (custom size)</b> then enter your movies resolution below (i.e. 352x144, 640x272 etc).

Now your movie will come out 4:3 aspect ratio which your program needs, but the it will be letter boxed keeping your divx movie in proportion. This will run wide screen on a wide screen TV.

Comment

• JeromeERome
        • Apr 2002

Great. Thanks for all your help guys. I will let you know if I can't get this stuff to work. Someone else on a newsgroup I was reading suggested using Adobe Premiere to import the widescreen divx then export the timeline as a 4:3 video project. That worked fairly well during my tests. I will try TMPGENC this time.

Comment

• JeromeERome
          • Apr 2002

OK...Ive tried resizing this video using Adobe Premiere, VirtualDub, CCE, and even TMPGENC with the settings you mentioned. None of them worked. The output I got was a solid black video with no sound. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Ndb
            • Mar 2002

I never suggested resizing the movie

The method above only positions the movie correctly for a 4:3 AR output. i.e. it letter box's it so it will display correctly on a std TV and widescreen TV, no resizing is used.

If your movies are 352x144 or such like instead of say 640x272 etc then yes you will have to resize them using <b>Keep Aspect Ratio 2</b>, but TMPGenc will do it auto like.

I have never had your problem of black and no sound, except in the old days of missing codec's. If you can wacth the movie then TMPGenc can encode it. As to Adobe, CCE etc - I don't use them, so can't comment.

Comment

• JeromeERome
              • Apr 2002

Well I found out the reason I was getting the black screen. The computer I am using was just recently formatted and re-installed with the needed software. I went straight to Divx.com and downloaded the newest 5.0 codec. I noticed the properties of the Divx movie I was trying to encode was version 4. So I found an old 4.0 version of the Divx codec, installed it, rebooted and everything has worked fine since. I don't know why but it didnt seem to like the divx 5 codec for some reason. The resize/aspect ratio thing works great now. Thanks...

Comment

• Ndb
                • Mar 2002

Glad your up and running, damn all those codecs

I'm not a lover of DivX 5.x and stick to 3 & 4, as I have always found the same as you with regard to 5 playing older encoded movies.

Comment

Working...