• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • profgrif
    • Apr 2002

Need help making DVDr Copies of DVD video

I need some advice from you guys...
    I recently purchased a pioneer 103 dvd writer
    I can make copies of anything but actual dvd movies...
    I would like to know how do you make a copy of these to dvdr?
    I am using Nero to make dvd copies..
    When I put in a movie disk and begin the operation of copy
    it tells me that disk is either copyrighted and says cannot read disk...
    How do I copy these?????
    Any help would be great...
    You can e/mail me if thats easier
    Thanx
    Chris
  • rudybob
    • Apr 2002

Hi m8 to copy a DVD first of all you need to decrypt the entire contents to your hard drive,secondly at the moment we can only copy up to 4.38 gig of DVD video to a disc so for example a latest film Jeepers creepers this is on single layer format DVD-5 these are the only discs you can copy at the moment so get yourself DVDdecrypter this takes only 30minutes to rip a film,save it in a file VIDEO_TS then once finished test it plays as a DVD using power dvd etc,NEXT step is to Burn it straight to DVD dont waste your time playing with IFO edit as this is rubbish and makes adjustments to the IFO files basiacally in my experience this reckes the DVD once its written RIGHT once youve done all that open up the VIDEO_TS file and CREATE an empty AUDIO_TS file this is needed once done CLick on Burn on your desired programme i personally use PRIMO DVD the best and easiest it tells you before you even burn the disc if it complies with the rules

Comment

• Norman Hsieh
      • Apr 2002

DVD Video Copying on DVD-R

confused:

Well, I have similar problems like rudybob, and thanks a lot for the answer from profgrif.

However I do have another question which is the copying of DVD Video, DVD original movie that is larger than 4.7GB which makes the length of the movie usually longer than 120min. I do not mind at all if I have to use two blank DVD-R disc to copy the movie. However how am I supposed to arrange or even modify the .ifo, bup and .vob files????

You guys are the experts here. Please advise me how should I do that so I can smoothly play the original quality DVD-Video movie.

Your answer and help is highly appreciated.

Comment

• SyN
        • Apr 2002

Currently the method I use is if its a DVD-5 Ill rip it and burn the result, nice and easy.

If its too big for a DVD-R I will rip it, run the vobs through DVD2AVI and save a project then give that to Tmpenc to rencode a DVD mpeg2 file at a lower bitrate to fit and then give that to Spruceup. There are plenty of guides for each of the programs dotted about on the various DV sites.

I suppose if you didnt want to lower the bit rate you could rip out the m2v etc.. and then split it up in bbmpeg and author each half and use two DVD-R, but I can't be arsed changing discs halfway through so I use the top method.

Comment

• Ndb
          • Mar 2002

I just use FlaskMpeg XiS and rip straight to Mpeg2 (BBmpeg built in) then stick it through DVDiT etc

Comment

• rudybob
            • Apr 2002

Hi reguarding the DVD onto 2 discs i too am happy with that so long as the film is long enough to justify the second disc,2 discs holds upto 3 hours so yeh its worth considering as dvd-9 will not ba available to the dvd writer enthusiast and as most of us are used to swapping VCDs well DVD swaping isnt as bad as you get the hour an half to sit down and watch in supurb quality.I HAVE found the easiest way around this an dit is not by re encoding the film once re encoded the film is cheese as it takes ages to convert with quality loss i mean lets face it these re encoders are fine for VCD but DVD movies are encoded on millions of pounds worth of equipment at the studios so i dont see the point of it anyway the best way is to select the VOBs you want e.g mummy returns is a long film so select the vobs that will fit on one disc and put the rest on the second and the ONLY known programme that can re write new IFO,BUP,VIDEO_TS is the latest version of IFO Edit who ever wrote that programme has made a few adjustments which i have to say WORK i have already done and still working on splitting up vobs and running on DVD player basically ive managed to select just one chapter,throw out the german AUDIO and all subtitles and saved a few MB and it plays fine on the player its easier to practice with a small amount od data due to the time etc

Comment

• namechamps
              • Apr 2002

You Just Need Right Encoder

the problem with most mpeg2 encoders is that people try to compress it too much. Most disc I only have to compress 10-15%. If you have seen a transcoded disc done right you won't be able to tell the difference, not without really looking.

STEP1:
              If you drop ALL the menus and garbage from the disc the movie is usually 5-6.5GB. However that contains useless languages, and subtitles. Drop them and you can normaly save another 1/2GB.
              You can use IfoEdit to do this all is 1 STEP!

STEP2:
              Then open the movie and jump to last chapter. Credits are normally 15-20minutes. That can be up to 1GB of wasted space. (Normally it is 400-600MB). Calculate the length of the credits (or where you want to cut off at). in SECONDS. Multiply by the frame rate (30 for US films). So if the credits were 12 min
              12 min x 60sec x 30frames = 21,600 frames.

STEP3:
              No if you don't have a quality encoder I recommend you just use rempeg2 (it's free, it is slow, but the quality is great). There are plenty of guides that explain it but make sure you reduce the last frame to be encoded by the amount in STEP2. (if the movie length was 735,900 frames then you would stop transcoding at:
              714,300 frame. (735,900-21,600). YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO REDUCE THE QUALITY BY MORE THAN 15%!!!!

STEP4:
              Now rempeg will give you 1 huge m2v file. Simply open ifoEdit and remux it back in. Then recalc the vts sectors. That's it

Total Time
              1 1/2 prep + 6hours for rempeg2 to transcode.

ADVANCED HINT:
              If you can aquire a copy of CCE SP (professional $2000 encoder). You can follow the same steps except you will need a prog called to DVD2AVI to frameserve for you. This will cut the encoding time down to an amazing FASTER than realtime. On my 1900XP I get 1.2xREALTIME (for 2pass VBR encoding).

I didn't include any step by steps but there are plenty of guides out there. The basic summary would be: for every MB of crap you get rid of that is another MB less you need to reduce the quality. It can be done. I made about 20 discs using the rempeg method above before I started using CCE. The quality is slightly better with CCE but you really have to look, and know that is a dup to start looking.

Now that is just with my 27" Toshiba and $249 AIWA DVD player. If you got a 60+" HDTV running 720Progressive scan hooked by component Video cables to a $900 progressive scan DVD player with on board farahourd circutry then:
              YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY

Comment

• swc3333
                • Apr 2002

4 questions.

1) When are DVD-9/DVD-18 DVD-R's going to be available? Will current burners be able to burn to dual-layered discs?

2) Until the writable DVD-9's come out, what is the quickest way to copy a movie (DVD-9) to 2 DVD-R's (DVD-5 x 2)? My guess would be convert to MPEG-2 with Flask, then break it up and burn it with something like DVDit or DVD Factory. Is there a way to do it without converting it?

Thanks in advance for any help.... I can't figure out why they don't sell blank DVD-9's...

Adam

Comment

• djdrock
                  • Apr 2002

swc3333...I doubt dvd-9 will be out anytime soon. There is too much uncertainty about all of the competing formats right now, and not to mention, the complication of writing to a dual layered disc.

Here is the absolute best way to split a dvd-9 to 2xdvd-5:

Comment

• linux999uk
                    • May 2002

AUTHORING THE MPEG

HI chaps I have done all the above upto I author the mpeg file back to a vob. As it stands the mpeg will fit nicely onto the disk but when I author using Power Director Pro which I got with my player the VOB goes over the limit. HELP !!!

Comment

• looj
                      • May 2002

Go to Doom9.net and get to Guide of how to split a DVD-9 to 2 DVD-5. It's easy and short. You'll love it. The other 3 of your questions are mine as well.

Comment

• Anders
                        • Sep 2002

Can someone give me a complete and easy way to shrink a dvd movie to a dvd-r disk.
                        I would like to have subtitles for my country and all audio files.
                        I dont want to erase anything at the end or anyting on the movie.
                        I want an explenation like the article in DVD Digest "http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/articles/DVD2DVD-R_4500_more/index.html"
                        I have tried this but it doesn´t work for me...subtitles?
                        And I cant burn this in DVDIt PE
                        What should I do??

Please help me guys!

/Anders

Comment

Working...