Can I Burn an Authored Movie to CD-R like a DVD?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digtal
    • Apr 2002

Can I Burn an Authored Movie to CD-R like a DVD?

I've been in the digital media scene for years, and I have successfully created divx cds, VCDs, SVCDs, etc.
    I want to create DVD like movies (with menus) to play on my standalone DVD player (short, like wrestling matches and fight scenes).
    Since the recordable dvd standard has yet to be decided, i dont want to waste money on a drive or media. can i burn short dvds to CD-R with the video in .vob mpeg2? My standalone DVD player can read CD-Rs and CD-RWs. Can it read this DVD on CD?

Thanx
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Although such media will play as if a DVD on your PC, stadalones won't recognize it. There is, however, a program/format referred to as "MiniDVD" that you might want to look into. You can find information about it at the DVDDigest/DivXDigest sites...

Comment

• Scarabus
      • Mar 2002

I wouldn't say that the recordable DVD format was yet to be decided; granted there are competing standards but they both have their strengths and weaknesses and will likely be around for a few years yet. And I believe that the price has stabilised, for now at least.

We are now at the point with DVD writers that we were with CD writers about 5-6 years ago; 2X speed and costing about $300-$400. You can wait for faster, cheaper players or you can buy now.

Bear in mind that you will replace your burner in the future. In my experience I have upgraded or replaced a broken CD writer every 12-18 months.

A DVD filesystem recorded onto a CD is known as a miniDVD. Very few standalone players will handle them; even players like the Apex, Shinko and Mintek that will handle practically anything usually don't handle miniDVD well.

(The APEX will play VOBs OK but won't do menus)

The only one that is supposed to play them well is the Afreey, and even that will only handle comparatively low bitrates (up to about 4000kb/s I think)

Comment

Working...