X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homyakchik
    • Feb 2006

Closed-captioning Authoring Tools?

Hi!

(Newby alert here. I checked the FAQs and did a search through the forums, but didn't find anything about this--didn't find anything much about closed-captioning period. So if I post something that's old news, I apologize in advance.

Here's the deal: having found that I can now author DVDs (...yay...), my Father has asked if I have any way of adding closed-captioning to a DVD. I know how to make _subtitles_, but he hates those; prefers CC, and he's definitely hard of hearing. Some of his favorite movies he's either got on DVD or are available so, but without CC (which is weird). I know I could pull the video up and add a subtitle track and re-burn it, but I don't see any mention of any way of _authoring_ closed captions for him.

Is this possible? Are there any tools (preferably shareware, as I don't have that much money to spend on stuff) that would allow me to author captions and then merge them with the MPG file to burn to DVD?

Currently what I'm using are TMPGEnc and TMPGEnc's DVD Authoring program (with a couple of others for miscellaneous stuff), which are fine for my own needs. If there's a tool that would work with them, that'd be great; otherwise, I could learn something new (at least for Dad's stuff).

Thanks very much!

Davey
  • jsoto
    • Jan 2006

I'm a PAL man, and do not have knowledge of Line-21-style captions.. (In fact not sure if they can be in a DVD...)
    But I do not understand why you do not want "normal" DVD subpictures..., you can turn them off, can have different languages, different screen positioning, etc.

BTW, AFAIK, TMPG DVDAuthor does not support DVD subs..

jsoto
    Web sites with my tools
    http://www.videohelp.com/~jsoto
    http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/

Comment

• r0lZ
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Mar 2004

Yes, CC are supported by NTSC DVDs.

Maybe this thread can be useful.
      There are also many thread on this subject at Doom9.
      r0lZ
      PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
      Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• Homyakchik
        • Feb 2006

Woo-hoo! Thanks!

For jsoto:

I honestly don't know if any of my PAL dvds (about a third of my collection) have closed captions (or their European equivalent) or not--my DVD player is macrovision-free, which coincidentally kills the Line 21 stuff, but then, I hate CC anyway. I, too, would vastly prefer to author subtitles into DVDs. It's my _Father_ (the hard-of-hearing one) who wants the closed captions. (Seems like a couple of my British or German DVDs say something about captioning, but again, I've never had any interest in trying it.)

For r0lZ:

Thank you very much. Just an initial read-through looks like this may be what I'm looking for (or at least a step in the right direction). I'll see what I can pull up at Doom9 as well; thanks for pointing it out.

Davey

Comment

• r0lZ
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Mar 2004

Sidenote: Line 21 is for NTSC only. In PAL land, we have the TeleText, something much more polyvalent, but it is not supported by the DVD video streams.
          r0lZ
          PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
          Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

Working...