X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homyakchik
    • Feb 2006

Correcting Slow Audio on a DVD?

Howdy, all

I have a DVD (Reboot Season 4, for the record). The original runs of these had both movies on-disk set up wrong; it was as though 29 fps sound was playing at 25 fps, with no way to adjust it. Originally the company had set up an exchange program (they'd trade you a 'fixed' disk for the original 'bad' one). Unfortunately, no one there responds to such trade requests any more, so I'm out to see if I can fix it myself.

The problem is literally as described above: it's as though a 29 fps NTSC program is being told to play back at 25 fps; the sound is just that little bit to-o-o-o slo-o-ow (you really notice it). What I'd like to know is this: is there any way that I could pull the files and set something somewhere that would actually speed the playback back up that little bit? (Backing the corrected copies up to DVD-R is a dream anyway, 'cause I hate double-sided DVDs. I see all kinds of speed and frame settings in TMPGEnc; would anything in there work, or do these settings preserve the look-and-sound regardless of final encoding settings? Some other more specialized tool? (I've only got the two movies that need such fixing, so I'd hate to have to buy an Adobe tool just for this.

If anyone has any notions about this, I'd appreciate a pointer in the right direction. Thanks!

Davey
  • jsoto
    • Jan 2006

Well, it is a very specialized work..., not easy.

But, I'm not sure if I understand well...
    Are you happy with the video playback rate?. Is it OK?
    Is the DVD authored as PAL (25 fps) or as NTSC (30 fps) ?

jsoto
    Web sites with my tools
    http://www.videohelp.com/~jsoto
    http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/

Comment

• Homyakchik
      • Feb 2006

Hi, jsoto

The video playback _appears_ normal, but then it would; it's completely CG, so it'd be hard to tell that they were actually moving too slowly. The sound, however, is down-pitched _very_ significantly, which (if this was film) would tell me that the whole thing was playing back more slowly than intended.

From what I saw in Reboot newsgroups, it was authored in one format, but then encoded for playback with the _wrong_ figures (as though it were authored for 29 fps--'normal' speed--and then hard-coded somehow to play back only at 25 fps--thus coming out slower than usual). That was why I was hoping it might be something as simple as using IFOEdit and changing a figure or the like. *sigh* If I have to completely re-master the whole DVD then it's not worth it, 'cause I could probably spend the next year working on just that (for two hour-and-a-half movies, it's not worth it).

Davey

Comment

Working...