• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrE_H
    Head of Sanitation
    • Apr 2003

Playing 320x240 MPEG in DVD

Hi guys,

Sorry for the confusing title but I couldn't think how to title this thread.

I have a collection of MPEG movies which are 320 x 240, 25fps and I have demuxed them and imported them into DVD Lab Pro. DVD Lab Pro says that these are not standard DVD size but will build the DVD anyway.

The problem is that the DVD won't play properly on my DVD player - height is ok but the width is about 1/3 of the screen. I have used this method to get SVCD onto DVD before and this has worked fine. The MPEG has the aspect ratio of 4:3 according to GSpot so I am confused to why this won't work.

Also DVD Lab says the video is NTSC - which is confusing as it is 25fps. Is there a way of changing this to PAL without re-encoding the video.

I could re-encode the videos but the quality will obviously suffer due to re-encoding mpeg to mpeg.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mr E
    A pub - ahh yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence, by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks.
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

Hello again MrE_H,

IMHO, I am afraid that your mpeg movies have been patched incorrectly or on purpose for a special use. Have you ever heard of a tool called DVDPatcher. You can use it to patch your mpeg files without re-encoding them. If it doesn't work, you have to re-encode them. Please go to the site from the link below to check this tool out:

DVD Patcher is a tool to change the video headers in mpg/mpeg2/vob video. Change aspect ratio, framerate, resolution/size and bitrate.

Regards
    Last edited by benbryant; 4 Apr 2006, 01:04 AM.

Comment

• MrE_H
      Head of Sanitation
      • Apr 2003

Thanks benbryant,

It's like you read my mind - what a great tool. I will try that out tonight. When I loaded the m2v file it had an aspect ration of 1 - 0.0000 and a bit rate of 104875000 which all sounds a bit odd.

When I change the size of the file to a dvd compliant one it puts green bars around it so I shall just change the aspect ratio and bitrate and see how I get on.

Thanks again.

Mr E
      A pub - ahh yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence, by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks.

Comment

Working...