Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SBN
    • Jan 2005

Xvid to DVD - Audio Synch problems

I hope this is the correct section for this problem. I have some HD Xvid videos that I wanted to move over to DVD format (to play in a DVD player).

I have been using Nero's Vision to take 4 videos and convert/create the DVD. Recently though it seems every DVD I make, at least one video is out of synch. The original file plays just fine, no problems. I have already created numerous DVDs already without issue. But now I can not seem to do any. I would like to say that maybe this is due to the original files, but it seems to be too coincidental now that EVERY DVD has synch issues now yet none before.

I am using the version that came with Nero 7. Vision seemed to be the simplest program, and for a time it worked wonderfully. Any comments, tips, suggestions or help would be really appriciated.
  • techreactor
    Banned
    • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by SBN
    I hope this is the correct section for this problem. I have some HD Xvid videos that I wanted to move over to DVD format (to play in a DVD player).

I have been using Nero's Vision to take 4 videos and convert/create the DVD. Recently though it seems every DVD I make, at least one video is out of synch. The original file plays just fine, no problems. I have already created numerous DVDs already without issue. But now I can not seem to do any. I would like to say that maybe this is due to the original files, but it seems to be too coincidental now that EVERY DVD has synch issues now yet none before.

I am using the version that came with Nero 7. Vision seemed to be the simplest program, and for a time it worked wonderfully. Any comments, tips, suggestions or help would be really appriciated.
    This is a known problem, specially with 29.976 fps movies. Use Mainconcept encoder, hopefully your audio will be in sync after that. But you will need a DVD authoring software to compile your DVD, since MC will give you only AV streams. Try DVD-Lab pro, the most feature rich DVD authoring tool in its category.

Comment

• SBN
      • Jan 2005

Thank you very much for the reply, in the process right now downloading their demos. Of course if I could just afford a nice big plasma screen that I could connect to my pc this will all be pointless wont it

Comment

• techreactor
        Banned
        • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by SBN
        Thank you very much for the reply, in the process right now downloading their demos. Of course if I could just afford a nice big plasma screen that I could connect to my pc this will all be pointless wont it
        Or you could connect your TV with your PC using the S-video interface also.(if both have it)

Comment

• kingaaa
          • Mar 2006

OK, I have the EXACT same problem, I too am using Nero 7.So far my problem seems to be confined to one file.It plays perfectly on the computers media player, but 10 minutes into the movie you can see a "digital glich" and the audiostream is knock out of sync.Funny thing is you dont see this "glich" on the media player and because I thought it was a problem with the dvd-r's I recorded it a couple of times but it always happens in the exact spot time after time.Is this problem just a problem with the Nero software? I got to say that after paying for Nero 7 I dont really want to pay out for more programs that do the job that Nero was supposed to do.Plus I'm a big fan of "one program does it all", I really dont know a lot about encoders so the simpler the better.Is there a different alternative to running the file through an encoder, dvd authoring software and then a burning program? are there any software companies making programs that do it all besides Nero?

Comment

• SBN
            • Jan 2005

Well I ended up trying out 3 different apps that encode Xvid to MPEG2/DVD. All were not only less than pleasing to work with, the synch issue was worse! Mainconcept was the only program that at least use the audio from the file. Tmpeg couldn't.

Yes it would be really nice if Nero could just do this as this was the easiest program out there to use. At this point I think I am just going to burn the AVI files to a DVD+R disc and wait until I can get a plasma or LCD screen I can just connect a computer to.

As for connecting useing S-video, that only works so so. I have never been much impressed with this option on video cards these days. Biggest problem is the fonts are impossible to read, although videos play just fine.

Comment

• kingaaa
              • Mar 2006

What about using the Avi2Dvd software in conjunction with Imageburn? I was using this method but found it to be slow, thats why I started using Nero.But any dvd's I made with these two programs I had no problem with. The only thing stopping me going back to using them are
              1 - I cant choose an audiostrem in Avi2Dvd, the drop-down boxes are blank (maybe Nero is interfering with the program?)
              2 - I dont know how to burn 2 avi files to a disc using Imageburn.

Comment

• mstradman
                • Apr 2006

audio sync prob

i downloaded fourCC xvid decompressor and all my audio sync problems were solved using nero vision 4

Comment

• bungleuk
                  • May 2006

k, I have been toiling with this problem about the audio and video slowwwwwwwwly going out of sync when burning avi's to DVD using *insert favourite DVD authoring tool here*, but more than likely Nero,

I have read thread after thread after thread on numerous forum site, and everyone banters on about using this tool, that tool, the other tool to reorder/resize audio video streams to match their lengths, using things like avidemux to do something i cant remember right now, I could go on....however, NONE of these seem to be effective. And believe you me, I have tried all manner of suggestions from so many people i'm frankly getting a wee bit pee'd off! as I'm sure many of you are.

Now i claim not to be a brain surgeon, but it did occur to me that the problem only EVER occurs when i try to burn files that appear to have been encoded using Xvid codecs. I notice this because when i burn all my episodes of 24, prison break, commander in chief etc, they all mention Xvid in the file name, suggesting thats the codec that was used, and sure enough, the audio is out of sync within 10/15 minutes,

BUT!!! all the movies i've burnt all seem to use DivX codecs, and i have NEVER had but a single blip when burning, all perfect, except one, mention no names, but surprise surprise, it was encoded with Xvid. The audio was out of sync after 16 minutes, only by a fraction, but by the end of the movie, nearly a full 3 seconds. unwatchable!!

Now here's a weird thing, when you watch that self same movie in Nero Showtime on my PC, the same problem occurs, audio goes out of sync. Unless, you stop it, and move the slider bar back to a set point in the movie, start again, and bang!! audio/video back in sync!! huh?? am I going mad?

Now, i'm assuming a penny dropped here as something seemed to make sense, I didnt have Xvid installed, but i did have DivX. playing DivX's work fine, Xvid's don't, they go slowwwwwly out of sync........go figure? has the light begun to shine for anyone yet??

I uninstalled DivX, and installed Xvid and now things seem so much better, as Xvid appears to more adept at decoding DivX than the other way round. but i remain sceptical!!! I dont believe anything will ever solve this problem.

Am I talking BS here? someone advise me, i'm going insane............

bungleuk

Comment

• bungleuk
                    • May 2006

blah!!!

Actually peeps, scrub evrything i just said!!

i'm in the middle of watching PB Ep20, 6:28 in and a get a little video digital glitch thingy, and bang, audios out of sync!!!

I give in!! can anyone help??

bungleuk

Comment

• Manovsteal
                      • May 2006

More audio sync issues Xvid to DVD/VCD

I have a Xvid file which plays (almost fine) on my PC, out of sync then after 15 seconds is back in sync. But when I convert to DVD with WinAVI is goes up to 3-6 seconds out of sync. I have tried converting with TMPGEnc into VCD instead (as it is 23.976fps so is not DVD capable on TMPGEnc) but have the same issue. VirtualDub detects "improper VBR" which may introduce 4125 ms of skew (suggests recompress with CBR at bitrate 190.6 + - 27.4 kbps). Have tried skewing the audio on TMPG but no help (not sure how to do this on VirtualDub). I have tried using the compatibility re-encoding on VDub:

Software you will need: <a href="http://www.divx-digest.com/software/gspot.html">GSpot</a> or similar <a href="http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_virtualdub_346.html">VirtualDub</a> <a href="http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec6

Both keeping it in XviD and converting to DivX makes no difference. I have searched for a PROPER release, but because there isn't any problem playing on PC no-one has released one "the.west.wing.721.hdtv-lol.[VTV].avi". Any advice would be appreciated - I'm happy to watch this on the PC, but I burnt the whole series to DVD for my wife, and this is the only one not to work!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

I have tried converting with TMPGEnc into VCD instead (as it is 23.976fps so is not DVD capable on TMPGEnc) but have the same issue
                        says who?

if you can't get the audio set right using this guide and the audio sync correction mentioned at the end of it, get another capture.

encode it without adjusting the audio gap so you can measure the amount and if it's consistent.
                        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                        Columbo moments...
                        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• MJZ
                          • Aug 2006

I believe it has to do with 24fps conversion...

I've seen both of the symptoms: A/V progressively out-of-sync and A/V in sync hitting a video glitch (between 5 and 10 minutes) when converting xvid to dvd via Nero.

I've played about a bit. it appears that my non-sync xvid videos are all encoded at 24fps. When making a DVD at 29.97 fps, Nero (and some other programs) have problems. Playing the original via any player appears to work because they can handle the 24fps issue (they can refresh your monitor at any rate they wish). When being forced to transcode to another fps rate various converter apps (I've tried >many<) fail in different fashion. I've sent Nero some fairly detailed analyses, but they are fairly quiet.

Comment

• NightTran
                            King of Digital Video
                            King of Digital Video
                            • Aug 2005

Nero is not very good in convert avi, I use cucusoft but it cost money
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...