Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • earthping7
    • Jun 2006

converting m2v/mpa or mpeg to vob

I'm using the Cinema Craft Encoder (CCE) Basic (yes, I sprung the $60 for this mpeg encoder ...and I'm very happy with its encoding capabilities, especially for scenes with lots of motion from my home videos.

My question is that once CCE does the AVI->MPEG (system) or AVI->M2V/MPA (elementary) conversion, how do I create the VIDEO_TS directory and the VOB, IFO, etc... files? I am using CCE to encode the AVI to a "DVD" quality/DVD standard MPEG format.

It appears that DVD authoring programs like "TMPEGEnc Authoring" will read in this MPEG or M2V/MPA combination and you can then make further "edits" to this video/sound stream.

But, when it comes to generating the VIDEO_TS directory with all the VOB, BUP, IFO, etc files, does the M2V stream get "re-encoded" again using an internal/built-in MPEG encoder to adjust the M2V to a DVD standard (which is what I've already done with CCE before bring the video into the dvd authoring tool)?

Basically, I want to make sure that the M2V portion of the MPEG I've encoded with CCE maintains it's quality, even if I make further edits (like adding menus, chapters, subtitles, etc...) using any dvd authoring tool.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

you should be fine as long as you stick to TDA 1.6. many people have been complaining about the new transcoding feature in 2.0 re-processing their files with noticeable quality loss.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• earthping7
      • Jun 2006

so does adding a menu, subtitles, and chaptering modify the m2v?

Comment

• benbryant
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Aug 2005

TMPGEnc DVD Author is an easy to use tool for authoring DVD. Unfortunately, AFAIK, it doesn't accept subtitles. You can use DVD-lab Pro if you want to do that

Regards

Comment

• earthping7
          • Jun 2006

maybe I should rephrase my question:

Which DVD authoring tools allow you to select a custom MPEG encoder (like CCE) when encoding the source (AVI, etc) to the DVD standard?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

no subtitles, another option is dvdauthorgui.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• earthping7
              • Jun 2006

Thanks for all the feedback!

Both DVDAuthorGUI and DVD-lab fit the bill! I'll be trying them out shortly.

They don't come bundled with a built-in MPEG encoder, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...