Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abrogard
    • Aug 2003

Can I Make Something from Stray VOB's ?

I'm just talking about how to make a dvd from a VOB file.

I've read the instruction thread in this forum and it seems to apply to a set of VOB's that are complete but just missing IFO's.

I'm talking about a couple or so VOB's that I might be able to get from a DVD via DVD Decrypter before it gives up on an insurmountable read error.

They would be with or maybe without the associated IFO's. It depends where the read error ocurred.

And I'm thinking of what I have read about copy protection techniques that purposely scramble the order in which VOB's are played.

And I'm thinking DVD Decrypter might have already fixed this aspect for whatever VOB's it has managed to rip but what about other copy techniques that also would fail at the read error.

I mean could I just copy the VOB's as a straight data copy from the DVD?

If I couldn't because they need the processing DVD Decrypter gives them then is there a way to give them that processing once they are on the hard drive?

In short: If I've got very scratched and buggered up dvd's that nothing will completely rip but which always will give up some of their VOB's - is there are way for me to make something of that?

And that suggests the question: could I make up a completely new DVD from a random (from different disks) selection of VOB files?

regards,

ab
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

Not really - and how would it be worth it - you'd have great periods of goop amongst good video.

You'd probably be missing lots of navpacks too.

Easier to get the DVD again.

Regards
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• paglamon
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

What u can do is rename those vob files to mpg and import them into some DVD authoring software (like TMPGEnc DVD Author) and make a new DVD.
      sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• abrogard
        • Aug 2003

I can see how people would think it a pointless exercise but it has a value to me.

I've got dvd's of my son's that I can't copy and that from time to time he uses... but not often and it will get less and less (he's three... I don't suppose he'll still be doing it when he's four).

But I get some VOB's from them all.

Now remember these are backups... we still have the original and it runs okay... I've been into that in another thread... why can't we back up a dvd that runs okay... no one knows.... but why'd I want to buy it again while we've still got it?

And I've got directories with various numbers of VOB's in them and I've found that Nero Showtime will play any one of those VOB's I point it at. So they seem to be an asset.

AND... we're dealing with kid's dvd's. Fimbles, teletubbies, thomas, etc.... there's no movie, it's just disconnected little features stuck together. I could make up a dvd perhaps with bits from all his favourites and really turn him on... and without that annoying requirement for me to get up there and press buttons on the remote to start it all up.....

AND... I just like learning what you can do....

So that's why I want to do it and that's why I like Paglamon's tip... I'll boot up TMPGenc dvd author as soon as I can and have a go at it....

thanks guys,

ab

Comment

Working...