Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xialater
    • Mar 2002

Anyone find the use of DVD-9 weird??

I can totally understand the use of it for some reasons (I.E. LOTS of extra features, extensive audio tracks, and the occasional very long move (though I think this is total B.S., more later)) but what I don't understand is a movie such as "Rising Sun" which I just went to back up......it's not a really long movie, there are no additional features to speak of, and there are only 2 audio tracks, YET the VOB files take up almost 7 gigs of space........take into account then a movie like "End Of Days"........a much more intensive movie to transfer, and while it's on a dual layer disc, the actual movie files can be ripped out, keeping all the audio tracks and without transcoding the video, and it can fit on one single layer DVD_5 CD-r..........

My Guess, the studios figured out that the DVD-9 movies are much more of a pain in the ass to transfer with the transcoding BS we need to go through, so they are just stretching the VOBs to make it harder

Any other opinions??
  • Goldfinger_007
    • Apr 2002

What is the quality of "Rising Sun" like?

Some studios like to use a higher bitrate to give a better quality.

I like the 'conspiracy theory' though

Comment

• Xialater
      • Mar 2002

rising sun.....

Its your basic quality similar to most movies that were transferred to DVD early in the game.....not superior quality,but not horrible.....from what I have seen, it's being re-released, not sure if they redid the transfer for it or not, the info I'e seen is unclear, my guess is no......the good news is, because the transfer quality is not super high quality, dropping the bitrate through ReMPEG2 didn't really mess with the quality of my backup much

Comment

• swanside1
        • Jan 2002

re

I have found that most of the movies now have a large bit rate, I have just done Mike Basset, and it is only about 86mins long, which should be ripped and put back onto a DVD-R, but I had to Rempeg it.
        The bit rate was larger than usual, which meant it is a larger file.
        All was OK in the end, when I reduced the Bitrate of the Video by 20%.

Comment

Working...