• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike89
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • May 2005

Moving PC games from CD to DVD?

Can this be done? I have many PC games which are on multiple CDs. I would love to convert them to single DVDs. If this can be done, describe the process. Thanks.
    I7 920 @ 3.5 gig (ThermalRight U120E 1366 RT Heatsink), Asus P6T, 3x1024 Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 280, NEC 90GX2, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Lite-on IHAS4228 SATA DVD R/W, Pioneer DVR-216D SATA DVD R/W, LG GH22NS30 SATA DVD R/W, 2 WD 640 gig (32 meg cache) SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig SATA External HDD (eSata), Winfast USB2 TV Tuner, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows XP Pro
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

you could simply rip all CD's to the hard disk as ISO images then burn them to a data DVD. install a virtual drive app such as daemon tools or alcohol 120% and mount the ISO's to install them
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• NightTran
      King of Digital Video
      King of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

nero vision 4
      sigpic

Comment

• Mike89
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • May 2005

Man I got a lot of questions about this. I don't want the virtual drive thing but that brings up an interesting question. I know I would still need the disk to play the game. Don't care about that cause I have almost all the no cd cracks anyway to play them (I have tons of games). Now I wonder if the same no cd crack would work if transfering the games to DVD. If this wouldn't work, I would never do it cause I have probably 75 games or so and no way am I going to go through that hassle of loading a disk in everytime I want to play one again. Took me a long time to not have to load disks (get all the no cd cracks) and no way am I giving that up. (And, lets not get into the pirating issue here please, I have purchased ALL my games). Then I wonder when copying all the cd's of a game on to one DVD, how is the installer going to know how to move from one to the other to do the installation?

The Nero Vision thing. I do have Nero Vision 4. I don't see an option there to do this. I only see making a video DVD which is not the case here. Care to provide more info regarding this?
        Last edited by Mike89; 7 Aug 2006, 05:28 PM.
        I7 920 @ 3.5 gig (ThermalRight U120E 1366 RT Heatsink), Asus P6T, 3x1024 Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 280, NEC 90GX2, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Lite-on IHAS4228 SATA DVD R/W, Pioneer DVR-216D SATA DVD R/W, LG GH22NS30 SATA DVD R/W, 2 WD 640 gig (32 meg cache) SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig SATA External HDD (eSata), Winfast USB2 TV Tuner, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows XP Pro

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

Man I got a lot of questions about this. I don't want the virtual drive thing but that brings up an interesting question. I know I would still need the disk to play the game. Don't care about that cause I have almost all the no cd cracks anyway to play them (I have tons of games). Now I wonder if the same no cd crack would work if transfering the games to DVD. If this wouldn't work, I would never do it cause I have probably 75 games or so and no way am I going to go through that hassle of loading a disk in everytime I want to play one again. Took me a long time to not have to load disks (get all the no cd cracks) and no way am I giving that up. (And, lets not get into the pirating issue here please, I have purchased ALL my games). Then I wonder when copying all the cd's of a game on to one DVD, how is the installer going to know how to move from one to the other to do the installation?
          the method does not alter the data in any way, as far as the pc is concerned you have a cd in there. as long as you have fixed exe's/mini images/anything that'll allow you to play without the disc in the drive, you'll be fine.

I don't want the virtual drive thing
          any other method i can think of will require much more effort and testing on your part. nerovision is for video content

Comment

• Mike89
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • May 2005

I don't know that much about virtual drives but I think we are talking about two different things.

I was talking about transfering games that are like on 3 or 4 cds, to one DVD so if I later needed to install them again (from scratch) I could just use one DVD instead of getting out all them dam disks. I hope they do away with cd games period. The days of a one cd game are long gone.

Seems you are talking about putting the games on a virtual drive (which means the hard drive) and playing them that way without the CD/DVD in drive. I have no need to do that. Way too much disk space to begin with (in addition to the game being already installed on the hard drive) and I already have no cd/dvd cracks to do that.

Am I missing something here?

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

I was talking about transfering games that are like on 3 or 4 cds, to one DVD so if I later needed to install them again (from scratch) I could just use one DVD instead of getting out all them dam disks
              exactly, and the method described works quite well.

virtual drive (which means the hard drive)
              not necessarily. again, in this case the game cd's are as ISO images on a DVD. suggest you do a little reading up on this topic

Comment

• Mike89
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • May 2005

Have you ever actually done this? I don't mean taking material off more than one cd and putting it on one DVD. I'm specifically talking about doing this with game cd's to a DVD. I am still wondering how the game installer is going to be able to connect those ISOs that have been put on one DVD (like there might be 4 or 5 of them) during the game install. Is it just going to jump from one to the next to the next so the whole game installs? How does it know the order of the ISOs to jump to? I'm not talking about playing the game, I'm talking about installing the game.

Forgive me if I'm still not completely understanding you. It seems to me we are still talking about something different (or if we aren't, my knuckle head is not seeing it). You say do some reading. Well, I have done some and have never seen any material specifically pointing to what I want to do (addressing putting multiple game cds on one DVD so that you could then install the game off one DVD). I would love to read an article/guide about doing this. Dunno if there are any, but seems someone would be thinking about doing this. Games are a whole different ball game from movies or just filling up a DVD with CD data.
                Last edited by Mike89; 8 Aug 2006, 02:55 AM.

Comment

• NightTran
                  King of Digital Video
                  King of Digital Video
                  • Aug 2005

you get all the iso cd and combine them in vision express
                  sigpic

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

Have you ever actually done this?
                    yes, i've backed up all my games this way

I am still wondering how the game installer is going to be able to connect those ISOs that have been put on one DVD (like there might be 4 or 5 of them) during the game install. Is it just going to jump from one to the next to the next so the whole game installs? How does it know the order of the ISOs to jump to?
                    i'm not sure if i can put it more plainly than this:

1. create ISO images of each cd of your game

2. burn those ISO images (as regular files) onto a DVD

3. pop in the dvd, mount the ISO of the 1st CD, then autoplay should kick in (or just run the installer); during install it'll ask you for the 2nd cd. you unmount the ISO image of the 1st cd, and mount the ISO of the 2nd cd. go back to the installer and click continue. then it asks for the 3rd cd, unmount the 2nd and mount the 3rd, etc

it's really very simple, just difficult to explain i guess

Comment

• Donovan
                      • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by NightTran
                      you get all the iso cd and combine them in vision express
                      I just looked at Nero Vision 4, and I'm not really seeing how this would be accomplished..... pm details?

Comment

Working...