MultiShrink - Settings to burn more than 1 disc?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

MultiShrink - Settings to burn more than 1 disc?

First time working with multishrink; I read several threads, & have been experimenting, but I guess I am missing some things;

1. When clicking "backup" in shrink to make the setting adjustments, do I leave that small settings window open when I am done with the settings?

If I click "ok", shrink automatically starts to encode. If I click "cancel" the settings don't seem to hold...

2. I intend to shrink several movies overnight, & then automatically burn with nero when finished. I have 4 burners. Problem is, when I select which burner I want to use for one movie, & then continue the process for the next movies, the drive setting changes to the same drive for all the movies, which obviously won't work.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks, katz
    Last edited by katzdvd; 4 Mar 2007, 06:15 AM.
  • Gary D
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by katzdvd
    First time working with multishrink; I read several threads, & have been experimenting, but I guess I am missing some things;

1. When clicking "backup" in shrink to make the setting adjustments, do I leave that small settings window open when I am done with the settings?

If I click "ok", shrink automatically starts to encode. If I click "cance;" the settings don't seem to hold...

2. I intend to shrink several movies overnight, & then automatically burn with nero when finished. I have 4 burners. Problem is, when I select which burner I want to use for one movie, & then continue the process for the next movies, the drive setting changes to the same drive for all the movies, which obviously won't work.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks, katz
    1. Leave this window open:

Open a new instance of Shrink for each movie. Open multi shrink last and hit start. It will start with the last version of shrink opened.

In the original multi-shrink thread (LINK), the authour was not sure if burns could be done on different burners. He thought some values would be changed from each instance of shrink open to the very first one processed. I have never experimented with burning because I will burn the files the next day with either Nero (sorry Blu) or ImgBurn.

EDIT: why not use DVD Shrink with ImgBurn instead. Shrink to an ISO and burn with ImgBurn automatically with the version at the bottom of my signature (The next day use the queue feature of ImgBurn)!
    Last edited by Gary D; 3 Nov 2006, 01:01 PM.
    Gary D

Comment

• Gary D
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

BIGGER EDIT

See this link. Multishrink will not let you burn and run!!!!
      Gary D

Comment

• NightTran
        King of Digital Video
        King of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

why would you want to burn while the other shrink is running? I dont use Multi shrink
        I would use muti shrink all then use imgburn and burn few on dif burner I know that would work, unless you have 4 HD (dif cable) with four dif cable to your burners you can burn 4 at a time
        Last edited by NightTran; 3 Nov 2006, 01:08 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

See this link. Multishrink will not let you burn and run!!!!
          I did read that one, Gary. I just thought that since that was an older thread, maybe there was a way to do it by now. I am going to experiment w/ it for awhile;

I have 4 burners, & it would be very neat if I could get all the shrinking/burning done overnight while I'm not using the pc for other things.

why not use DVD Shrink with ImgBurn instead. Shrink to an ISO and burn with ImgBurn automatically with the version at the bottom of my signature (The next day use the queue feature of ImgBurn)!
          That may be a good workaround, I would be willing to do that. I also had read that the burn settings maxed out in nero when doing it that way, & I wasn't too keen on that...

Thanks for the input, guys! If you have anything more to add, please do so

cheers, katz

Comment

• r0lZ
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Mar 2004

To shrink 2 or 3 DVDs at once during the night, I use a different technique.

I launch DVD Shrink 2 or 3 times, with different DVDs, and I leave the priority of the first one to "lowest", and change it for the second one to "below normal", and the third one to "normal". Of course, the DVDShrink instance with the normal priority will do its job first, while the other ones are waiting. When the first DVD is shrunk, the "below normal" instance will begin its job, and finally the "lowest" one.

It's easy, safe, and you can modify the parameters of each instance independently.

Hint: I have downloaded and installed a little free tool called PowerMenu. It adds an handy system menu to all windows, with a function to change the running priority of the application. Of course, it is also possible to use the Windows Task Manager to change the priority, but it is a little bit more complicated.
            r0lZ
            PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
            Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• katzdvd
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Feb 2006

I launch DVD Shrink 2 or 3 times, with different DVDs, and I leave the priority of the first one to "lowest", and change it for the second one to "below normal", and the third one to "normal". Of course, the DVDShrink instance with the normal priority will do its job first, while the other ones are waiting. When the first DVD is shrunk, the "below normal" instance will begin its job, and finally the "lowest" one.
              So, using this method, you don't need to run the multishrink program at all?
              What about the burning procedure - do you just do them one at a time the next day?

Comment

• r0lZ
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Mar 2004

So, using this method, you don't need to run the multishrink program at all?
                Right. I even don't know this program.

What about the burning procedure - do you just do them one at a time the next day?
                Yes, because I like to burn my DVDs with ImgBurn. But it should be possible to burn the latest DVD (the one with the lowest priority) during the night also. Burning several ISOs with this method is probably dangerous, but I have never tried that, as I have only one burner.
                r0lZ

Comment

• katzdvd
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Feb 2006

Burning several ISOs with this method is probably dangerous,
                  What do you mean by that?

Right. I even don't know this program.
                  Thanks to r0lZ for doing PgcEdit. (excerpt from chetwoods credits) Didn't you work on programming w/ chetwood?

@ Gary/ your screenshot; why save them to HD folder. Would I not want shrink to save it as an ISO?

Comment

• r0lZ
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Mar 2004

What do you mean by that?
                    Well, if you program a burn on the 3 instances, the first burn will begin while the other instances are still shrinking. This will require much CPU power and cause much disc assess at the same time. Furthermore, I don't know if the burning program inherits the priority of ImgBurn, but it it's the case, you will burn at low priority. All the conditions are met to produce some buffer underflow, and we know that it's dangerous, even with recent burners.

Thanks to r0lZ for doing PgcEdit. (excerpt from chetwoods credits) Didn't you work on programming w/ chetwood?
                    No. PgcEdit is my onw baby, although I got many help from misc ppl (incl. Chetwood) to write most of the documentation, to do the icons of the toolbar, etc... As far as I know, only the PSL plugin has not been programmed by me, as well as some unreleased plugins developed by commercial companies for their own use.
                    r0lZ

Comment

• katzdvd
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Feb 2006

Just wanted to update this thread;

<B>Gary</B> - your method does work - The only thing I do different is backup as an ISO file so I can easily burn afterwards with IMGBurn.

<B>r0lZ</B> - your method works too! - I opened 3 shrink windows; backed up as ISO, <B>clicked ok on all three at same time</B>. That is the only thing that I encountered different from your instructions;

I launch DVD Shrink 2 or 3 times, with different DVDs, and I leave the priority of the first one to "lowest", and change it for the second one to "below normal", and the third one to "normal".
                      I didn't see the option in shrink to change the priority levels, so I ended up encoding all three movies at once!

I thought maybe my pc wouldn't be able to handle all three tasks, but I had no problems with it.

My pc specs;
                      Win XP Home
                      2.2 Athlon
                      1 GB DDR Ram

Guess that is enough "horsepower" to pull it off!

Comment

• soup
                        Just Trying To Help
                        • Nov 2005

@katzdvd you might have missed the hint.

Hint: I have downloaded and installed a little free tool called PowerMenu. It adds an handy system menu to all windows, with a function to change the running priority of the application. Of course, it is also possible to use the Windows Task Manager to change the priority, but it is a little bit more complicated.

Comment

• r0lZ
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Mar 2004

Katzdvd, you can certainly launch the 3 instances at the same priority level and at the same time, but that will produce many disc accesses at the same time, and the process will take ages. This is why I recommend changing the priority.
                          As explained above, you cannot do that in shrink itself, but it's easy to do with PowerMenu or the Task Manager.
                          r0lZ

Comment

• katzdvd
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Feb 2006

D'oh! Guess I read it too fast! I will continue to experiment with both processes to see which I like the best. I like to keep it as simple as possible, not a lot of extra steps involved. Now, if I can figure out how to shrink all those movies & burn them all automatically afterwards, (IMGBurn Queue) that would be super!

Regards, katz
                            Last edited by katzdvd; 4 Mar 2007, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• soup
                              Just Trying To Help
                              • Nov 2005

@r0lZ, great tip on PowerMenu, thank you.

Comment

Working...