Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tweety Pie
    • May 2002

Jerkiness at the end of a dvdr film....

Having problems with certain films i've backed up.

The problem seems to be that when you are watching the film on a standalone player near the end of a film it will stick and then start again etc etc which is really annoying.

Have read on here others are having the same problem.

I'm using Princo branded white top dvdrs.

Is it the media or the standalone player thats not liking something?
  • ebina
    • Apr 2002

Sounds very similar to the hanging I see near the end of movies over 90 minutes that I write onto cheap meritline media. I see it in about one of every three discs, only the long movies on cheap media. On more expensive media like Apple or Verbatim blanks I don't ever see it No one has been able to explain it to me, but I think it is a media problem.

Comment

• satkid
      • Apr 2002

it is indeed a media problem. i have found that the gen 3 golt top disks from bigpockets cure this both on ps2 and set top players. 1.50 a disk too aint bad.

Comment

• afyuen
        • Jun 2002

I use meritline's DVD-R's also, and found that if I use the Smartripper/IFO technique to split a >4.6GB DVD, the resulting DVD-R causes the jerkiness towards the end of the DVD, and occasionally it can't seem to find the audio while it's playing the video. Also, if I look at the time elapsed display on the DVD player, it occasionally will freeze at a specific time. Sometimes when the DVD player is completely confused, it'll just stop playing. I find that DVD's that are under 4.6GB and ripped with Smartripper does not have any problems playing as it is a identical copy minus the macrovision/region code/CSS. So I figure it couldn't just be the media. Perhaps there's a bug in Smartripper/IFOEdit? Any ideas?

Comment

• yohudi
          • Dec 2001

Jerkiness

The cause is definitely read-error on the media.... Smartripper does not have any bugs that cause jerkiness.

examine the output from smartripper on HD... m2v will play smoothly and flawlessly to the last frame... the only reason the same file muxed and burned to DVD-r will have a prob is if it can't be read properly

Comment

• afyuen
            • Jun 2002

Thanks for the insight, yohudi. I tried burning the DVD 1x instead of 2x and it seems to work fine

Comment

Working...