• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ffreezinmn
    At the beginning:
    • Jan 2006

Reassigning menu button commands

Hi-
    During the editing process I often will edit out all the trailers, commercials ext… and most often what is left on the table so to speak is one or two interesting commentaries or mini shows or an Easter egg. This left over stuff is often buried in a sub menu or in the case of an Easter egg “well” who knows where. What I would like to do with the stuff that is left is reassign a menu button to call the left over title (‘s).
    <O</O
    Any helpful suggestions or a guide would be most welcome.
    <O</O
    To be honest what’s left is usually an extra cartoon since most of what I edit is for the kids and they are not real handy with navigating to a sub menu to find the extra cartoon.
    <O</O
    Thank you
    <O</O
    F
    Last edited by ffreezinmn; 20 Dec 2006, 01:11 PM.
  • r0lZ
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Mar 2004

Unfortunately, writing a guide on this subject is not easy, as the method is different with each DVD.

Basically, it should be possible to simply copy the command of the original easter egg/bonus button to the button you want to use. But it's not always so simple.

For example, the new button has to be in the same domain as the original one (unless the button command jumps to the VMGM.)

Also, if the bonus was accessed via a sub-menu, after playing the bonus, the navigation will probably return to that sub-menu. You have therefore to modify also the post commands of the bonus to return to the new menu.

Things could be terribly complex with some original DVDs, when the authoring is made with lots of GPRMs used to hold the title and chapter number to jump to. In this case, you have to understand how it works before trying anything.

Anyway, you have to understand the VM commands and the navigation structure of the DVD before trying to do that. The trace mode of PgcEdit can probably help you...
    r0lZ
    PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
    Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• ffreezinmn
      At the beginning:
      • Jan 2006

It sounds like it can be difficult. Certainly more difficult then I suspected.

At this time I have only a limited understanding of the vm commands and the navigation structure. Perhaps in six months I will have a better understanding and will revive this thread.

In the mean time any suggestions as to a more user friendly approach.

Would it be far simpler to set them up to play consecutively in a loop? Main movie, short story then easter egg,

Thank you for your responce. It seems that every time I think I am learning and getting somewhere with this hobby, I realize in fact how little I know.

F

Comment

• r0lZ
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Mar 2004

Well, your idea can be applied simply, with Title -> Import Title's Closing Clip.
        If the bonus is alone in its own titleset, you can import it directly (even if it is in the DVD that is currently being edited), otherwise, you should use DVDShrink in re-author mode to create a little DVD with just the bonus, and import it.)
        Of course, with that method, you will have the same bonus twice. It is therefore probably a good idea to blank out the original bonus PGC.
        r0lZ
        PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
        Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• ffreezinmn
          At the beginning:
          • Jan 2006

Import Title's Closing Clip.

If the bonus is alone in its own titleset, you can import it directly

this sound much more manageable, and accomplishes what Is necessary.

thank you

F
          Last edited by ffreezinmn; 21 Dec 2006, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...