X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emile77
    • Oct 2005

What to be done with USB TV key

Hi ,
    I've just bought an USB key to display and record TV programs on my computer.
    However , files .mpg recorded by the soft make my computer freeze when I try to open them.
    I've contacted Hauppauge hot line and they told me that I had to remove all 'CODECs' from my computer and to clean the 'Register' (????).
    There"s no change , so if anybody could give me any suggestion ?
    Thanks by advance ,
    emile
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Try playing the files with Media Player Classic.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• emile77
      • Oct 2005

problems with usb tv

Thanks for the answer ,
      I can view the record .mpg by means of 'PowerDVD 6' (I have to wait 1 minute) , but I can't do anything other like burning a DVD or convert the file into another format because the computer 'freeze'.
      Any other suggestion will be welcome ,
      emile

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

but I can't do anything other like burning a DVD or convert the file into another format because the computer 'freeze'.
        Using which software?

Comment

• emile77
          • Oct 2005

Hi ,
          I try to use 'MAGIX' , 'ULEAD VIDEO STUDIO' , 'BINCK AND SMACKER' and 'SUPER' , all these softs freeze either when I try to import the file '.mpg' obtained or when the encode starts.
          I think something is defect in the '.mpg' file generated by the soft used by the USB TV KEY.
          When I try to empty the trash , very often Windows XP SP1 reboot , and once I got 'Boot failure' and had to restore a recent back-up of the HDD by means of 'Acronis True Image'.
          I don't understand why the hotline of the soft asked me to remove all codecs from the computer , in fact may be one codec is missing to make the output file correct ?
          Thanks for other suggestion ,
          emile

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

Try running the file through ProjectX or VideoRedo

Comment

• emile77
              • Oct 2005

What to be done with USB TV key

Hi ,
              I've got a good suggestion on the net and finally the problem is solved :

[[ Explorer crashes when I open folders with movie files in Windows XP and higher
              This is a known issue with Windows XP's braindead video thumbnail thing in Explorer. Being a thing invented by MS, it's buggy and doesn't always know how to handle things not supported by MS. When it sees something it doesn't like (for example, a MKV or OGM file) it occasionally crashes and takes Explorer down with it. This isn't a very funny situation to be in, but it's easy to disable it. Go to Start -> Run... and type :

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
              Press enter. Done. It's as simple as that. If you, for some reason want it back (unlikely, but might happen), simply do the same thing again, but remove the "/u". That is: Start -> Run...

regsvr32 shmedia.dll
              This will only disable movie thumbnails/previews, not picture thumbnails. ]]

Then add a key :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer]
              "DesktopProcess"=dword:00000001

Now I can do what I want with the .mpg files recorded (open , rename , duplicate , cut or join with 'TMPGenc' , etc...).

Thanks everybody for your help ,
              emile

Comment

Working...