Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fatstrat
    • May 2006

90 plus title sets??

I have came across a few Dvd's here lately with this. When I run it through Pgcedit, pgcedit lags. Is it because all of the dummy cells in the VTS?
    rOLZ? blutach?

Also is best to blank those vts and have fixvts take care of them?

Strat
  • r0lZ
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Mar 2004

Although PgcEdit is very slow (due to the interpreted nature of its language) when there are several thousands of uncalled PGCs in a DVD, you can remove all of them with DVD -> Delete Uncalled PGCs. Just be patient!
    r0lZ
    PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
    Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• Calimari
      • Oct 2006

Just like rOLZ said, give it some time. I've had those doubts too on a 90+ VTS disc when I let PgcEdit delete the uncalled PGC's. I thought it crashed, but after waiting a bit longer and having two coffees, PgcEdit 'woke up' again and it did a very nice cleaning job.
      Last edited by Calimari; 11 Apr 2007, 04:30 AM.

Comment

• r0lZ
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Mar 2004

BTW, I am aware of this problem. The next version of PgcEdit will have another function to delete the uncalled Titlesets. This function will not delete the uncalled PGCs in the Titleset that are called partially, but is very fast (because it is only necessary to analyze the VMG to discover which VTSs are uncalled globally, and it is easy to remove all of them at once.)

After using that new function, it will be faster to use Delete Uncalled PGCs to finish the cleanup, as most of the useless commands are already removed, and are therefore not analyzed any more.

I have tested this new function with a DVD with 91 uncalled VTS and 80 PGCs per VTS, and the function took 1 second to delete all of them (because it was not necessary to remap the Title numbers.)
        When it is necessary to remap the title numbers, the function can take between 10 and 30 seconds more to search for SPRM 4 and do the remapping. Anyway, it is really faster than Delete Uncalled PGCs.
        Last edited by r0lZ; 11 Apr 2007, 04:56 AM.
        r0lZ

Comment

• fatstrat
          • May 2006

Thanks for the quick responce!!

Thats what I thought...I will have it a go Tonight. Believe me I can be patient, I have plenty of beer to keep me occupied!!

Strat

Comment

• fatstrat
            • May 2006

Can't wait to use the next version!

Nice job.

Strat

Comment

• Calimari
              • Oct 2006

@rOLZ

Nice feature. Any idea when the next beta will be released?

Also, can I make a suggestion?
              Take the follwing code
              1 if ( gprm(8) == gprm(8) then { Goto line 3 }
              2 (JumpSS) Jump to VTSM 99, Root menu (TTN 1)
              3 (JumpSS) Jump to VTSM 1, Root menu (TTN 1)
              Line 2 will never be executed, so VTS99 wil never be called. But I guess it won't be detected as uncalled (or will it, you'll know this better than I do).

PgcEdit has a handy function 'GPRM's' in the info section. It shows how many times a GPRM is used. Would it be hard to implement something similar for the titlesets? A titleset that's only called once is probably a useless one, the user then can investigate the use of it, and eventually delete the calling command before executing the (new) 'delete uncalled titlesets' funtion.
              This can be done now easily with the 'Jumps from VMG to current VTS' function, but I guess on a title with 99 VTS', it'll save a lot of time by bringing the suspicious VTS' in the spotlight.

Comment

• blutach
                Not a god of digital video
                • Oct 2004

Originally Posted by Calimari
                titleset that's only called once is probably a useless one
                Far from it. Many times a VTS is called, plays something (eg the DD trailer) and reverts back to VMGM to go elsewhere.

As for your other observations re the uncalled line 2, you are correct. It can be replaced with a NOP. However, AFAIK, PgcEdit doesnt have an "auto trace" function to analyse this. So user intervention is required in this case.

Regards
                Last edited by blutach; 13 Apr 2007, 10:28 PM.
                Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• r0lZ
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Mar 2004

That's right. It is too complex, and time consuming to analyze all commands, in the whole DVD. I can't automatize that.

However, I agree that a function similar to the Calls Cross-references but showing only the jumps from the VMG to the VTSs is probably useful. Maybe I can do that easily, but I have to re-read my code to be sure...
                  r0lZ

Comment

• Calimari
                    • Oct 2006

Originally Posted by blutach
                    Many times a VTS is called, plays something (eg the DD trailer) and reverts back to VMGM to go elsewhere.
                    I know, what I really meant was the useless VTS' as we see in ARccOS movies, those don't play anything and are not uncalled.
                    But I agree, in your example, it's up to the user to decide wether that titleset is useless or not. It would be a trailer that plays only once, eg. in front of the movie. FBI-warnings, trailers in a foreign language, studio logo's, etc. all those are titlesets that are called only once, but most users don't want them in their backup. They aren't accessable by a button in the extra's or something.
                    So, when these are detected, anyone who understands a littlebit of DVD commands, can easilly make them uncalled to have them deleted by PgcEdit's new function.

Originally Posted by r0lZ
                    That's right. It is too complex, and time consuming to analyze all commands, in the whole DVD. I can't automatize that.
                    I agree. But I wasn't pointing that direction.

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly. The idea was to highlight the titlesets that are not uncalled but probably need a closer look from the user. Something like giving them another color like 'Find uncalled PGCs' does, or placing them in a list. But without actually deleting them because this would also destroy titlesets who aren't useless to some, as in Blutach's example.

Originally Posted by blutach

As for your other observations re the uncalled line 2, you are correct. It can be replaced with a NOP.
                    Hm, I always delete those lines, as PgcEdit corrects all remaining linenumbers and GOTO's. Something I should avoid?

Comment

• r0lZ
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by Calimari
                      Hm, I always delete those lines, as PgcEdit corrects all remaining linenumbers and GOTO's. Something I should avoid?
                      In the early days of PgcEdit, i would have said yes, as I was not sure that the renumbering was always perfect. But now, I'm confident it can be used safely. So, in your example, you can safely delete lines 1 and 2, to make VTS 99 uncalled.
                      Last edited by r0lZ; 14 Apr 2007, 12:30 AM.
                      r0lZ

Comment

Working...