Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Theasley
    • Oct 2006

English DVD for viewing in France

I need to take a training DVD that was created for North America, and convert it so it will play back without issues in France. What is the best way to accomplish this?

Should we have the master tape converted from NTSC to PAL and then encoded for use in the DVD authoring program? The other issue is I heard that France uses the television standard of SECAM L, so would a PAL-formatted video file also create playback issues?

I also heard that most European DVD players can convert on the fly NTSC video to PAL. That might be an option to simply accomplish this project, but I wonder if the on-the-fly conversion of the DVD player would be low quality.
  • goonix
    • Oct 2006

Even my cheap (29 €) desktop player can convert NTSC to PAL without losing the quality.
    But I'm not sure if you need a PAL (SECAM) 60 capable TV set.
    My TV (10 years old) works flawlessly.

goonix

Comment

• r0lZ
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Mar 2004

There are 2 types of on the fly conversions. The true, good conversion and the conversion in "pseudo-PAL". In the second case, the sync signals are only approximative. This can lead to minor problems when watching the DVD, such as an image somewhat shrunk vertically, or white lines at the top and/or bottom of the image. Anyway, usually, those problems are not really noticeable.
      Many recent players are good enough (especially cheap DivX compatible players!) So, don't worry too much!
      r0lZ
      PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
      Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• techreactor
        Banned
        • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by Theasley
        I also heard that most European DVD players can convert on the fly NTSC video to PAL. That might be an option to simply accomplish this project, but I wonder if the on-the-fly conversion of the DVD player would be low quality.
        You answered it yourself, you only need a multi-region player, dont worry about the quality, it wont degrade.

Comment

• Spotmen Inc
          • Mar 2007

perhaps you could take along a region free player justy in case.

Comment

Working...