Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zvolen
    • Dec 2006

Encoding/Authoring Question…

Is there a program, preferably freeware, that works like DVDSanta that converts Mpeg videos into DVD format that I can then use DVD Shrink to burn to a DVD so that is playable on my personal DVD player. I have tried DVD Santa which seems to work perfectly but is not freeware and the trial version puts a watermark on the video. If someone could point me to a program that can do the above it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Z

If the program is too technical a guide would help as well..
    Last edited by Zvolen; 16 May 2007, 01:47 AM.
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

DVD flick there is links on this forum ( free ware)
    sigpic

Comment

• Art Vandelay
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Feb 2006

another option that I came across after using Santa once is the process I use for TV captures. I take the mpeg file and demux with ProjectX, leaving you the 2 files (.m2v the video file, and the .mp2 audio file or .wav file in some cases) I convert the .mp2 or wav ausio file to .ac3 with ffmpegGUI 3c.

Then take DVDauthorGUI to make the DVD files by loading the .m2v and .ac3 files then I make chapters with DVDauthorGUI program. You can find links to all of these mentioned programs by serching my past posts use (authoring dvd files as serch terms).

When DVDauthorGUI is finished you end up with the DVD files (VIDEO_TS AUDIO_TS, VOB, BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO that can be opened by shrink or DVD-Rebuilder and I use HCenc 21 to encode.

This process deosn't take as long as some people think even though it isn't a 1 click method. If you have the .mpeg to start with the times for a 8GB file on my AMD Athlon 64 X2 +4600 are:

ProjectX: 3 mins to demux
      ffmpeggui 3c: 1 minute to convert audio to .ac3
      DVDauthorGUI 4 mins author dvd files
      DVD Rebuilder free version 98.2 with the dual dvd rebuilder program running 90 mis., if shrink is used it will take 20 mins but quality isn't as good even with DA and AEC settings.

I like rebuilder/HCenc 21 since the quality is better since a ENCODER is being used not a Transcoder which is what shrink and Santa are. I record from my sat. rec. and then burn the files to DVD for shows I want to keep. I have also used this when taking video from a video camera and converting to DVD.

Some reading is required but I liked learning about how DVD are made. Check out www.videohelp.com for some of the programs and guides. see this link for DVDauthorGUI http://download.videohelp.com/liquid...42/readme.html

have fun all mentioned pgms are free
      Last edited by Art Vandelay; 16 May 2007, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• Zvolen
        • Dec 2006

@Art -- Thanks for the method it may be something I try depending on what I find.

@NightTran -- I tried DVD Flick and after following the guide that is also here it was very easy to use yet when I play the video output file I get static, although it is not constant static and you can still hear the original audio just some static at some point. is there something I need to do maybe a bad "code". Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks, Z

Comment

• NightTran
          King of Digital Video
          King of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

did you multitask why encoding the movie? That is the only way when I have problems also check your original file
          sigpic

Comment

• shrink0
            • Jan 2006

Hey Art V, though most of the time I use DVDFlick for my TV captures,I'm going to try your method as I just love to try diff. ways/methods....I have all mentiond progs.in your list,except I use DVDRB Pro.....
            sigpic
            Google is your friend

Comment

• NightTran
              King of Digital Video
              King of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by shrink0
              Hey Art V, though most of the time I use DVDFlick for my TV captures,I'm going to try your method as I just love to try diff. ways/methods....I have all mentiond progs.in your list,except I use DVDRB Pro.....
              it will be worth every penny you spend on it
              sigpic

Comment

• Art Vandelay
                Digital Video Technician
                Digital Video Technician
                • Feb 2006

@ShrinkO

give it a try. search for my previous posts on authoring. ProjectX is great since it will fix any audio sync problems which is why I don't use Sonic anymore and HCenc is better. With projectX I was given a download link that you will find I think from Calamari that directs your to the windows compiled version that runs on win XP (it is a Java program) It looks strage so click on View and select windows look and feel and it won't look as strage. Click on File > add > select your mpeg file then press quick start and wait 3 or 4 min. I give these instruction for other readers since you have the program and know how to use it.

I make episode DVD's (TV captures) of shows I really like. I use Shrink to load episode 1, episode 2, episode 3 in reauthor mode then select no compression and output to DVD folder with VIDEO_TS.IFO rather than ISO. Then open the folder with RB and let it do the compressiong since Shrink has put all the episodes in 1 package.

It is the long way around but no audio problems and better pic. quality than a Trancoder. I did a 3 episode DVD today and the compression was at 55% and it still looked good on a HD TV with a proscan player. Yes 55% I think HCenc does a better job at 55% than at 70% for my type of project (not as sharp, smoother pic. quality don't need fluxsmooth or deen filters)

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

I convert the .mp2 or wav ausio file to .ac3 with ffmpegGUI 3c.
                  May I ask why?

From one lossy format to another, all it does is degrade (arguably already low) audio quality, for such a small reduction in file size.
                  Last edited by anonymez; 16 May 2007, 04:48 PM.
                  "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Zvolen
                    • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by NightTran
                    did you multitask why encoding the movie? That is the only way when I have problems also check your original file
                    Original file is fine, I watch the whole video. I do think there was another program running in the background, I will try it again with nothing running. Should I change the priority?

I will try Art's way in the future, just once I get these basic functions and programs down.

Comment

• Art Vandelay
                      Digital Video Technician
                      Digital Video Technician
                      • Feb 2006

save space for video less compression

@anonymez

I do it because the file size of a .mp2 is about 150MB's for a 1 hr show and the .ac3 file I get after is about 75MB's and when I have 4 episodes so 4 audio files on the DVD it saves space so less compression on the video.

Yes, it is a crap (junk in, junk out) format but even at 320 as a bitrate and 48000 it is 1/2 the oroiginal .mp2 size. The saving is even more if the file is .wav to start with. I have no problems with the sound quality and there is no crackling/hiss/static or any bad sounds, I have never had any complaints about the sound as .mp2 or .ac3. I care more about the video quality. Works great for me, I only have 2 chan audio in my stereo, not 5.1, or 6.1 or 7.1 I may save 300MB's by converting the audio file on the DVD and use the space for video. You are right that it isn't a large amount.

Remember this is sat. reciever TV capture, can you think of a better way to handle the audio for my aplication?
                      Last edited by Art Vandelay; 17 May 2007, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Zvolen
                        • Dec 2006

So I tried to do the video again with DVD Flick and the same thing occurred, this time the project was on high priority with no other programs running or multi-tasking. However it seems that it only gets static when the volume of the audio in the movies raises, could it be that my original video file as too high volume?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

• Zvolen
                          • Dec 2006

Someone?Anyone?

Comment

• Art Vandelay
                            Digital Video Technician
                            Digital Video Technician
                            • Feb 2006

How does the .mpeg sound when you play it with media player or any other player before the processing? If the sourse is bad (audio on the mpeg) I don't think it could be improved is it possibe to make a new mpeg and hope the audio is better?

With the method I described to you in my first post I have always started with a mpeg file that would play fine and the audio was good with no static or hissing.

Comment

• Zvolen
                              • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
                              How does the .mpeg sound when you play it with media player or any other player before the processing? If the sourse is bad (audio on the mpeg) I don't think it could be improved is it possibe to make a new mpeg and hope the audio is better?

With the method I described to you in my first post I have always started with a mpeg file that would play fine and the audio was good with no static or hissing.
                              The audio quality of the original file is perfect, no static or hiss. It does seem to play louder than other files or atleast the highes or but still no static or distortion at ALL. It seems those are the parts that get staic/hiss when the volume rises either on a loud voice or noise.

Any tips?

Comment

Working...