X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WalczakPhoto
    • Feb 2008

Problem with Nero Vison 5 and menu audio

Greetings!
    I am new to these forums, so first let me say a big "Howdy!" to everyone and I sincerely hope that someone out there can help me with this issue. Also, if by chance I have posted this in the wrong forum, moderators please feel free to move it.

Ok...I'm going to try and be as detailed and specific here as possible, so please bear with me and please forgive me if this gets a little long. Also, please keep in mind that I'm pretty much a total newbie to this whole DVD authoring thing as well as to video editing and creation...please be gentle.

I am a photographer and a musician and I'm starting to get into video/videography as well. Basically I'm creating "movies" of my work in Adobe Premier 6.5 (full retail version given to me by a friend when he upgraded to CS3) which consist of my images along with some video clips and my own music. Once created, I save these movies in an uncompressed AVI format which I then take into Nero Vision 5 (part of the Nero 8 suite) to create a DVD with.

Now before the flaming starts...yes, I've read the things on the web that say that Nero isn't the preferred choice for DVD authoring, but at the moment it's all I have to work with. More over, except for this audio issue (which I'll get to in a moment), I like the way that Nero sets up menus and such and accept for the audio issue, everything else has worked beautifully for me...I'm getting some really nice and professional looking stuff out of all this.

Now here's the problem (at the least the big problem that I'm beating my head against the wall over)... Once I've imported my movie into a project, I go in to create my menus. I'm doing custom menus with my own backgrounds, buttons, etc., and of course, my own music. I've recorded a couple of short pieces of background music that run between 20 seconds and a minute long specifically for this. I usually create a main "Title" menu as well as a Special Features menu and a Chapters menu...all with their own separate background audio. Once I have completed the project (and saved it of course) I go to "Preview" and everything appears to be all fine and dandy and then I burn it to a DVD. The problem is that once the DVD is burned, there is no audio in the menus regardless of where I play it back (PC or stand alone player). The audio for the movie appears to be fine...no sync problems or anything, but the music/audio for the menus is gone. I've tried both mp3s and wavs but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Adding the audio seems straight forward enough... On the "Edit Menu" page under the "Customize" tab, it has the option "Background Audio" and when I open the drop down menu, I go to "Custom...", select the audio file I want to use and that's pretty much it(?). I'm not using any of the Background Audio "Options" such as fade in/fade out or anything. Again in Preview, the audio seems to be working just fine...it's just gone once the DVD is burned. I've tried using both mp3's of my work as well as the original wav files but it doesn't seem to matter...the menu audio drops out either way. So what am I doing wrong here? Is this maybe a codec issue? Is there a better audio format for using for the menus than mp3 or wavs? Are there audio options somewhere else in the Nero Suite that I haven't found yet? Any suggestions at all??????

As to my hardware specifics (in case it's a hardware related issue), I'm running a home-built PC with an MSI 745 Ultra motherboard, AMD Athlon 2600+ CPU (T-bread), 1.5 gigs of RAM, 2 - WD 7200 RPM HDD's (one 20 gig and one 160 gig) ATI Radeon video card and I'm running this with Windows 2000 Pro (w/service pack 4). My DVD burner is an I/O Magic 16x8x5 external USB 2.0. Nero 6 Ultra came with the DVD burner, but I didn't like the way it did menu creation, so I'm using the Nero 8 "Trial" version (if I can get past this audio issue, I will get the full retail version, if not then I need to look for something else).

I have tried contacting Nero's tech support, but after everything I've read on the web, I'm not hopeful about a solution (or even a response). As I'm sure you all are aware, the Nero help files and users manual are pretty useless. I have tried searching the web on this particular issue, SEVERAL times now, but can't find a thing. Again I've been banging my head against the wall now for 4 days trying to figure this out! SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!

Alrighty...I think that's about it. Again sorry that got kind of long, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible so that perhaps someone can help me figure out the problem here. I am VERY grateful to anyone who can provide some assistance with this!

Peace,
    Jim Walczak
    Walczak Photography
    Last edited by WalczakPhoto; 15 Feb 2008, 08:20 AM.
  • WalczakPhoto
    • Feb 2008

update...

I just found something interesting...I don't know if it's in regards to the specific problem that I am having or not, but it may help some other Nero users out there.

Nero 8 seems to have a problem with the DivX 6.8 codec (at least on my AMD based Windows 2000 machine). With the old DivX 4.0 codec, Nero was running fine, but when I installed the 6.8 codec, Nero started running reaaaaaaaally slow and now I get errors trying to open it...something about "server busy....switch to" or something. Once the program does open everything else in Nero seems to be running really slow too...even just trying to open a file. It's like the system has to stop for a couple of moments and think about it or something. I uninstalled the DivX 6.8 and reinstall the 4.0 and everything's back to running smoothly again.

Any thoughts on this?

Peace,
    Jim
    Last edited by WalczakPhoto; 15 Feb 2008, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• WalczakPhoto
      • Feb 2008

re:

Well, for anyone interested or who may be following this thread, while I haven't found the specific problem with Nero and this "server busy" error, I have at least found a partial solution.

It seems that Nero isn't the only program to have this "server busy" error causing the system to hang. I've seen references to this same problem with McAffe's, Nortons, Dreamweaver and some others. The specific cause of the problem seems to vary from program to program but it seems to be something in the running processes that causes it. For example in the case of Dreamweaver, Adobe has said that it's a problem with MicroSoft Internet Information Services (IIS). Since I'm not running IIS, I know that's not the problem in the case of my machine and Nero, but it does still seem to be something internet related.

In my case with Nero, for the moment I've found that if I clean out the temporary internet files, ba-da-bing, Nero fires right up! In otherwords, apparently it wasn't/isn't a problem specifically with DivX as I had thought.

I do not know if this is going to fix my original problem with the audio dropping out of my menus...I have a strong feeling that's a different issue, but at least I'm back up and running again.

Either way, I'm getting closer to a solution and I'll update this thread again for posterity should anyone else run into the same problem.

Peace,
      Jim

Comment

Working...