Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maggot
    • Jun 2002

DVD 1 for 1 copy

I have purchased a few DVDs from overseas and i noticed that they are usually only around 3.7gig on the DVD . But the store bought ones here in the US with the same features and menues are all over 7gig for the same feature. Does anyone know what they are using to compress the .VOB files or the whole VIDEO_TS folder in general to get it to that 3.7GIG or so size?
  • amoda1
    • Jun 2002

The Movies here in US may have more then one language, Like Spanish, German..etc, these features can make the files big.

Comment

• adamonebox
      • Jun 2002

Bogus

Stripping out all audio save 5.1 English and no subtitles saves about 300 Mb on average, no where near the difference this poster mentioned.

Comment

• onerose
        • Nov 2001

yo ! check out my findings for a new way to transfer to disk in the onerose post

Comment

• amoda1
          • Jun 2002

Well, I read your post, that is one way to bring it down to 4.7GB or less, but do note that setting the bit rate to 3000k will reduce the quality of the whole movie. DVD bit rates are usually between 4.5K to 9K. The other issue is that Encoding can take very long time for the whole movie

How about...rip all the VOB's on your hard drive. Encode the first one or second VOB (or any other two three VOB's) to MPEG-2 with low bit rate using TMPEng or other software. This way you will have other VOB's with the original Bit rate. Carefully erase the converted VOB's or copy them to other location in case...

Convert back the MPEG-2 to VOB using like DVDit or any other software that performs this function. Copy the converted back VOB's to original VOB's directory on your hard drive. Use InfoEdit to correct all the *.IFO files and burn using NERO.

Less time
          Better quality ( more than half of the movie)

Comment

• kellystewart
            • Jun 2002

Right I am showing my ignorance here but cant you just copy all the files from the original dvd on to your HD then rip them onto DVD+R/DVD+RW and if you cant do that can you plz give me a rough idea why?? Thanks for your time

Kelly

Comment

• Tweety Pie
              • May 2002

you can't do it because the majority of "retail" dvds are dual layered 9+gig in size.

Therefore you have to strip out other languages, trailers etc to fit on a 4.7gig dvd blank which is only 1 layer.

Some dvds ,however, are less than 4.7gig that don't have loads of extras and can be backed up straight to dvdr, however these are few and far between.

For the rest a little work is required to get it onto your dvdr.

Comment

Working...