Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adamonebox
    • Jun 2002

2 DVD+R Issues

I have "mastered" the process of taking a commercial DVD and copying the movie and chapter breaks alone to one or two DVD+R's for setup DVD player playback. When the movie requires 2 DVD+R's I use either DVD Decrypter (my favorite) or SmartRipper to rip half of the chapters to one folder, the second half to another folder. I then manually copy the original VIDEO_TS.IFO file from the DVD to each folder, and use IFO edit to reformat the IFO files (I don't strip because I have more than enough space on each DVD+R; I don't use Macrovision removal because the ripper already did this;I don't use Remux because I'm not transcoding).

I haven't been able to figure out how to take a full DVD-9 rip, without access to the original VIDEO_TS.IFO file and split this to two DVD-R's for set-top playback. A friend of mine has hundreds of DVD's ripped to his servers in this format (each movie has the X_0.IFO and all the .VOB files, only). I tried to use the "split to two DVD-R" feature in IFOedit, but despite having the "create new VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_1_0.IFO Files" selected, the result NEVER contains a VIDEO_TS.IFO file.

Any help on taking a rip stored on a PC (with VTS_X_0.IFO files and all .VOB files but NO VIDEO_TS.IFO file) and splitting it to two DVD+R's for set-top playback????

-Adam
  • nfischer
    • Jul 2002

Great POST!

I have been looking for this information! THANKS!

Comment

• mancubas
      • Jun 2002

Hi

Have you been able to find a fix for this very common problem?

Thx, in advance....

Comment

• jazzie
        • Jul 2002

I'm new to DVD backup. I'm using ifoedit and have be creating backups on hard drive. No DVD burner yet so I can't complete the process. But I can get the back up files to play on the ifoedit DVD player. (most of the time)

As far as getting just movie vobs to work, I have tried this way. However, no menus will be available, but you will have chapters.

Try this:

1 Have all the movie vob's in on folder

2 Open ifoedit and click 'Create IFO's'

3 Specify your VOB file ie.. 'VTS_02_1.vob'

4 Choose a destination folder

5 When processing is complete, a VIDEO_TS.IFO file and VTS_01_0.IFO file will be created.

6 Close IFOedit

7 Copy those 2 created files to your movie folder

8 Open ifoedit again, and load VIDEO_TS.IFO file

9 Press DVD Playback to test

Hope this helps,

Jazzie

Comment

• mancubas
          • Jun 2002

Hi

Thx for the reply, have you had this working with more than 1 vob, does it create both vts_xx_x.ifo and the video_ts.ifo. <jUST TRIED IT, DOES LIKE MORE THAN 1 VOB.>

The Pioneer 104 is at a rock bottom price of £209 inc VAT, I would recommend buying this one cause I use it all the time, no failure as of yet, try www.bigpockets.co.uk & http://www.121cdr.co.uk.

Thx.
          Last edited by mancubas; 22 Jul 2002, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• jazzie
            • Jul 2002

After I start IfoEdit and press 'Create IFO's'
            I'm prompted for the VOB file.
            I then load the first VOB file of the movie
            (ie...VTS_02_1.VOB)
            Choose a destination directory and press 'Save'

IfoEdit scans the VOB files and creates (2)
            new IFO files:
            VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_01_0.IFO

Copy these two files to your movie directory and
            it should play in the IfoEdit DVD player.

No menues will be active. But I believe you can advance through chapters.

Only problem I have is when I press DVD play in IfoEdit, I get this warning:
            'No Valid DVD-Video Volume could be located.
            Do You want to Continue?'

I click 'yes', and all is good. Am I doing something wrong, or do you also get that warning when trying to play the prepared file in IfoEdit DVD player?

Since I don't have a Pioneer 104 DVR burner yet I can't test the results. But the way I'm understanding IfoEdit, If it plays fine in the IfoEdit DVD player, then it is suppose to play in a Stand alone DVD player, Right?......

Comment

• mancubas
              • Jun 2002

Hi

The advance through chapters function works with your way of ripping.

You will always get "'No Valid DVD-Video Volume could be located" until you press Get VTS button on the VTS_**_*.IFO for the movie, this will correct all pointers ready for playing on a stand alone player and software DVD player.

The Pioneer is now £199 at http://www.121cdr.co.uk, what are you messing around at, snap it up man, hate to know how much space all these images are taking up on you hard disk.

Have you tried adding menus to a DVD split yet, this is the final thing for me to master, bloody complicated thou.

Mancubas...

Comment

• jazzie
                • Jul 2002

So after I press 'Get VTS Sectors' and save the IFO, I won't get the Warning 'No valid DVD Volume Could be located'...

Which IFO should I load on IfoEdit?

On a split DVD, I have the 2nd disc start right at the chapter, but the menue is available if necessary. Chapter search is there, as long as the chapter selected, is on that disc, and the DVD plays in IfoEdit DVD player. If a chapter selected is on the other disc, I get 'the Invalid DVD command' Audio and subtitle menues are also available on disc 1 and 2.

Think there is a way to fix that?

Comment

• mancubas
                  • Jun 2002

Hi

Which IFO should I load on IfoEdit? (Do you mean to play back the DVD)

On a split DVD, I have the 2nd disc start right at the chapter, but the menue is available if necessary. Chapter search is there, as long as the chapter selected, is on that disc, and the DVD plays in IfoEdit DVD player. If a chapter selected is on the other disc, I get 'the Invalid DVD command' Audio and subtitle menues are also available on disc 1 and 2. (This does not make any sense to me, what are you on about)

1 confused bunnie...
                  Last edited by mancubas; 24 Jul 2002, 01:46 AM.

Comment

• jazzie
                    • Jul 2002

Let's see if I can explain what I have done so far. I split a movie into 2 files. The first file contains chapters 1-16, and the second file contains chapters 17-30. I have authored disc 2 file to start at chapter 17, as soon as I press DVD play in the IfoEdit player. (of course the chapter number is actually '1' not '17', as 17 is the chapter on the original disc.) During disc 2 play back, I can access the menue from the player and access audio, and subtitle menues if needed.

Of course this is only a test as I have not actualy burned on a DVD-R. Only play back on the IfoEdit DVD player. Isn't that what the IfoEdit player is for, to see if the prepared files play correctly? So in theory this prepared file should work right? (I hope )

I've also authored disc 1 file to start right at the THX logo and the movie begins.
                    Hope this clears it up, as I am still learning.

Jazzie

Comment

• mancubas
                      • Jun 2002

It makes sense now, well done, you've managed to do it before me, DAMIT.

Would you mind typing another quick tutorial to explain how you got the split to work with menu's etc.

PS: What movie was the split for.

Comment

Working...