• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

ConvertXtoDVD Output File Size

I know the main point of ConvertX is to produce a DVD, though is it really necessary to always output to DVD-5 etc...? I mean when dealing w/HD content can't one set the output file size to the same as the source and still produce a very good quality DVD? Sometimes you might want a smaller sized file whether DVD or not, especially if saving to the HDD etc... for future viewing. If so then what would the suggested output file size be for different HD sources? Mainly as of now speaking about Avi, MP4 and MKV with and occasional WMV file. Thnx.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

The maximum size that the DVD created by ConvertXToDVD would be a DVD-9, unless you plan to split the file on multiple discs. It won't matter though, because the MPEG-2 video on the DVD has a maximum resolution of 720x480 (or 720x576 for PAL), and there are also bitrate limits (as otherwise, standalone players won't be able to decode the video properly). so there are diminishing returns from splitting a high def source into multiple discs (ensuring no more than 60 minutes of video on each DVD-5 disc is probably the "best" you can do, in terms of quality).
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Let me rephrase this. I don't want to split any HD source file, though would like to keep the same size after the ConvertXToDVD conversion so as to have a DVD compliant file on hand on my HDD. ConvertX will convert the HD file though if you leave the DVD-5 output setting the output file size will be larger than the input. So is it ok to manually put in the output file size to the same as the source HD file albeit some minor give or take w/out losing/messing up the DVD conversion? If solely burning to disc then it don't matter if it's a single HD source or multiple files as ConvertX will accomodate them to fit onto a DVD-5. Single or not it will produce a decent quality DVD file and will tell you if too many loaded can't fit or produce a crappy DVD.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Keeping the same file size actually doesn't mean much, because you're already converting a HD source (most likely encoded in another video format), to a SD source (encoded in MPEG-2) - so there are too many variables to say that keeping the same file size will guarantee quality (or not waste space).

But as I posted above, 60 minute per DVD-5 will give you the best quality in CX2D, 120 minute per DVD-5 is probably just acceptable, so use this as a guide in determining the size of encodes and how much you should try and fit onto a single disc (with that said, since your source is HD, a good quality source, you can probably get away with storing more per DVD-5: try 90 minutes per DVD-5).

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

There isn't a movie out there other than a short film/documentary etc... that's 60 mins. The file size of a HD source say .mp4/.mkv etc... is the only thing that's smaller. The length of the movie will still be the same as the original. Am I missing something here? 120 minutes is just 2hrs., and the average release now is that or above. I've put about 3 movies into CX2D, whether mp4/mkv/avi and it put out a dvd-5 of decent quality. On one occasion it said there were too many. There has to be a reason other than format for CX2D. I'm thinking file size for several movies on one disc or saved on a hdd. I personally don't need DVD format always as I have the PS3/Win7 that plays them. For others though that have no clue, and they're out there, DVD is a must.

I'm not sure I follow this correctly. There isn't a 60 minute movie out there.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

The MP4/MKV is most likely using H.264, which is much more efficient than DVD's MPEG-2. Even DivX/Xvid is more efficient than MPEG-2. A commercial DVD usually requires around 5 to 7GB for a typical 2 hour movie, and that's what you should be aiming for if you want the best quality possible (commercial MPEG-2 encoders are a bit more efficient than the one CX2D uses, so they can probably get away with putting more footage on the same disc). For example, for the DVD of The Lord of the Rings, which was just under 3 hours, required 2 discs to fit in the whole movie, including one full DVD-9. If you movie is longer than 60 or 90 minutes, you'll either have to use a DVD-9, or split the movie on multiple discs, if you want to ensure top quality.

Of course you may not need top quality, so of course you can fit more onto each disc, but I wouldn't try to squeeze more than 2.5 hours onto a DVD-5 (otherwise, the poor quality would be really noticeable on a larger screen TV).

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Ok I got it now, and I also just solved why some of my files do look poorer on a larger screen. I have a 27" though some files when played back on there do look worst than when viewed on my PC. Thnx.

Comment

Working...