Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VRYK
    • Jan 2009

Importing menu in PgcEdit

In PgcEdit after using Menu→New Menu to create a new (dummy) Root menu, I wish to use Menu→Import Menu to import a DVD created from a bmp image by Muxman. While the PgcEdit manual indicates that this latter command “copies the menu VOB file if requested”, I have been only able to import the IFO files. How can I request the VOB file ?
  • r0lZ
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Mar 2004

Import Menu replaces the existing menu (if any), so creating a new menu PGC before importing another menu is useless anyway. (If there is no menu already, ou can right-click a VTST PGC to import a menu for that VTS, just like you did to create a new dummy menu PGC.)

That being said, PgcEdit should offer to copy the menu VOB file (if there is one) during the operation. There are several conditions for the prompt to appear: the "IFO" part of the menu must have been parsed and imported successfully, the IFO must have a non-empty M_VOBU_ADMAP table (meaning that the menu has video content), the source VOB and destination VOB must not be the same file (you can import a menu over itself to undo your latest changes if you wish, but in that case the VOB is not imported), and, of course, the source VOB file must exist. If these conditions are met, then you should see the "Copy the Menu VOB file ?" dialog.
    r0lZ
    PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
    Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• VRYK
      • Jan 2009

Thanks for your reply. Repeating the exercise, I imported the menu DVD directly by right-clicking on a VTST PGC (in fact, there is only one VTST PGC in the video). As before, in the import window I selected the relevant IFO file, but again PgcEdit doesn’t offer to import the VOB file. The fact that the new PGC (VTSM 1) has been created presumably indicates that the first condition you list is satisfied (“IFO” part of the menu parsed and imported successfully). IfoEdit shows that the IFO contains a VTSM_VOBU_ADMAP table – how can I verify that it is not empty? I don’t believe there is any problem with the last two conditions.

Comment

• r0lZ
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Mar 2004

To verify if the VTSM_VOBU_ADMAP is empty, just open it in IfoEdit. Anyway, if your menu has non-dummy PGCs, then the VTSM_VOBU_ADMAP should not be empty.

Have you tried to load the source DVD in PgcEdit? Does it complain? Can you see the menu VOBs with the PgcEdit preview?
        r0lZ

Comment

• VRYK
          • Jan 2009

On further reflection I suspected that my problem was that the “menu” I was trying to import is not really a menu – i.e. it is merely a bmp image to which I was planning to add command buttons in PgcEdit. This seems to be the case, as IfoEdit reports “there is no VTSM_VOBU_ADMAP table”. Is there a way out of this?

Comment

• r0lZ
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Mar 2004

I don't understand. What is your "menu" exactly? How have you created it?

Anyway, PgcEdit needs a complete and correctly authored VTS to import the menu.
            r0lZ

Comment

• VRYK
              • Jan 2009

Since the video lacks a menu, I wished to create one ex nihilo, by taking a bmp image and adding command buttons and appropriate code to it in PgcEdit. The Title Set is functioning without any problem.

Comment

• r0lZ
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Mar 2004

PgcEdit can't import a BMP. You have to create the menu first with any authoring program. (I use DVD-Lab pro, not free, but you can also do it with the free version of muxman.) The authoring program should generate at least a new VTS with a menu and a title VOB, and the IFOs. At that time, you can import the menu in your final DVD with PgcEdit.

There are many guides explaining how to do it...
                r0lZ

Comment

Working...