Anybody ever try this method to backup DVDs?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vic102482
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jan 2002

Anybody ever try this method to backup DVDs?

I was toying around at home with my new Hauppage WIN TV capture card I think I have the 980 model pvr something
    (too lazy too look) but I saw an svideo port thingie and I hooked my dvd player up to in and lo and behold it worked I was like okay well maybe it will play but it darn for sure wont capture but it did capture the movie and everything. I have a hardware MPEG-2 decoder built into the thing and since it was built in I did not have to do any encodeing after the capture.

For those of you who dont knwo what caputreing is it is when you record to your computer from any video sorce ie. dvd player video game console vcr exct.

The quality wasnt dvd so I increased my data rate to 6000kb per sec. 6 megs is the dvd standard, Iw was dvd standard alright but my 300 k6 amd buckled under the pressure. I took it to my friends house installed it in his 850 and it was far better. To make a long story short I put a dvd burner in his machine and made a copy from the caputre that I had created and it was successful I did have some problems befoe with dropped frames but the change incomputer showed that it was MY hardware causing the problems.

Just tyring to spread the knowledge.
  • maggot
    • Jun 2002

What was the final size of the Video after the capture?

Comment

• vic102482
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Jan 2002

like 3 gigs

Well I tried it a couple of diffrent times at diffrent data rates, you can choose to capture at like 6 megs per sec which is dvd or do what I did and capture at like 5.5 just to make it fit on a blank dvd. But it fit I really couldnt notice a diffrence in quality but if you lower it to something like 3.5 then you will notice a diffrence.

Comment

• theluxman
        • Jul 2002

What program did you use once you had the mpeg movie on the hard drive to burn the dvd-r?

Comment

• vic102482
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Jan 2002

Ulead

Its not bad at all.

Comment

• vic102482
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Jan 2002

Gladiator

It is a very long movie and after a couple of attempts I have made a copy of it at very high quality(its sub dvd but only by like 500kilobits per sec) the human eye cannot tell the diffrence

Comment

• theluxman
              • Jul 2002

How long does the capture usually take?

Also, how long does it take to burn the DVD with ULEAD?

Comment

• vic102482
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Jan 2002

capture

The capture takes as long as the movie is, thats the only drawback, think of a capturea card as a digital VCR if the movie is 2.5 hours it will take 2.5 hours to capture. Once you capture though, there is no encoding, the kool thing is that your capture card will ENCODE WHILE CAPTURING so it willt ake the signal in, encode it to MPEG-2 then write that to your HDD

Comment

• theluxman
                  • Jul 2002

Using a wintv card to capture the video is also an easy way to skate past the decription isn't it.

There's nothing I hate worse than decrypting a DVD only to find that the middle VOB is in French.

I think this Win-Tv pvr is my next purchase. It records tv also so I won't have to waste time with a VCR.

Comment

• vic102482
                    Platinum Member
                    Platinum Member
                    • Jan 2002

yep you catch on fast

The MPAA can put all the encryption they want on there, you dont have to give a sh8t what they do.

Just plug up turn on capture and burn

see how easy that is to say compare to this

open prgram select what you want to rip select place where to put

rip

decode for 8 to 10 hours
                    edit with software

burn back to dvd to find it dont work

The WIN TV PVR is a great purchase the ATI all in wonder is good also butif they detect copywrited material then it wont capture

WINTV is like f*ck it
                    They also do HARDWARE ENCODING THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT you dont want no software, hardware is always faster than software(respectivly) With hardware you get better quality and clearer sound and picture, software is cheaper, but a hardware card aint no joke mines wieghs about 3 pounds (think that aint nothing compare to your NIC card which is only a couple of ounces)

Comment

• vic102482
                      Platinum Member
                      Platinum Member
                      • Jan 2002

Just to let everybody know

I just did titanic, I hate the movie but it was the only three hour type that I could think of, fit it on to one DVD-r

Comment

Working...