Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Echo147
    • Nov 2001

DVD Disc Capacity

I read a long time ago that dual layer and double sided methods had been achieved to fit as much as 18.8GB to a single DVD disc.

Does anyone know if DVD writers are planning to use this technology in the future? I want to invest in a writer within a year and could really use the extra space.

Do even commercial DVD movie discs hold >4.7GB these days?

Any info would be appreciated
  • vic102482
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jan 2002

Well.....

99.9 percent of the movies that I have seen are dual layered which means that there are actually 2 4.7gig disks on one side of the DVD. What the dvd market currently has is single layered dvd disks that hold a capacity of 4.7 gigs. Now that equates to 120 mins of high quailty dvd movie so anything that is over 120 mins(and most movies typically are) will have to be some how fitted onto that smaller dvd. Now if you are using for data backups it works just like a cd burner.

A dual layered disk for home use in devlopment? to answer your quesiton I seriously doubt it. Making dual layered dvds is an expensive process, the 2 disk are acually burned as 2 SEPERATE entiteis and then glued togther. How somebody would manage that at home, I have no clue. Maybe they will come some day but I dont see it happening any time soon.

Comment

• Echo147
      • Nov 2001

Hmm, I didnt think it was such a crude method lol

I thought the laser reburned over the same area but at a different frequency.

Comment

• vic102482
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Jan 2002

Yeah

Take that with a grain of salt. They are glued and you are right, but you have got to see the machine that does this process, it looks like a particle accelerator or somthing. The way you stated I wouldnt doubt if that is being used also, but I do know for a fact that they do like merge the 2 disks togther.

Comment

Working...