Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babs
    • Jan 2003

DVD-R size

Using some software a friend emailed me I have been able to rip DVD movies onto my hard drive (it should be mentioned that I am using a new iMac). However, the only blank DVD's I can find are only 4.7 gigs big, and all the movies I own are much larger (usually more like 7 or 8 gigs). Ok, so I am trying to make a copy of DVD's that I actually own (strange to be on the legal side of things for a change) and since I can in no way find anything morally or legally wrong with what I am doing I am getting fairly pissed at how much I have to go through in order to back up my property. Any help? Are there bigger blank discs out there, or is there a way to split the video TS files up so as to burn them onto two discs? Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • sgillis
    • Jan 2003

I too am having the same issue. I bought a Cirque de Soleil CD and am trying to make a backup of the DVD. I decoded the files to my hard drive and when I go to record in Toast (Roxio's CD Creator for Mac's) it says that I don't have enought space. Tells me that the space available is 4.4GB but the space required is 7.9GB. What is the deal?

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Almost all DVDs are over 4.7 GB (DVD-5), dual layer 9.4 GB (DVD-9) or double sided (DVD-10 and DVD-18), whereas currently, you can only buy single layered 4.7 GB DVD recordable media (there are double sided media though, but that is not much use for backing up dual layered DVDs).

You will need to either remove the special features from the DVD (only backup the movie) or you will need to split your current data in order to make a backup on 2 DVD recordables :

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...