Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbum01
    • Apr 2003

Legality Issues of Backign Up CDs

I recently purcahsed a sony vaio, with a dvd burner. i looked into things more and discovered dvd copy shrink. i ripped a few cds, looked into it more, then found out how to burn those ripped files to a dvd-r to play in a dvd player. i then returned to best buy, and was speaking to one of the employees. he was telling me that authorities are really on top of everything, and people are getting busted all over. my question to you guys is, how likely is it for a person like me, (getting dvds off of friends, usuign dvd shrink to re-encode them, and burning them to dvd-r s at a lesser quality) to get caught. After speaking to this guy at Best Buy about my ip address being shipped to authorites the instant i rip a dvd, i jsut got a little scared. he made it seem like doing what i did a few tiems already is soon to be a lost art, and if i keep it up i will be getting busted. i would just like to know the likelyhood of getting busted for doing what im doing in this manner, and any other specifics people can give me.

thank you
    jbum01
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

First of all the MPAA/Government cannot figure out that your ripped a DVD to your computer. No there is no background running program of such. The possibility of you getting caught (of course just your friends knowing this not the FBI agent down the road) Slim to none. your fine don't be worried and burn away!

Otherwise known as for every 50,000 people 1 MIGHT get caught. lol

Comment

• jbum01
      • Apr 2003

in response...

so as long as i keep it within my friends, im ok? i was thinking about renting and ripping, any more risk? i dunno this guy at best buy got my spirits down. is there anything i should be weary of to continue burning?

thanks
      jbum01

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Perceived/Claimed justification, in the U.S., for duplicating CDs and/or DVDs is that under the Copyright law, you are entitled to make one duplicate OF SOMETHING YOU OWN as a backup - so that if the original is damaged, you can replace it with your backup.

There is No law that says you can legally make copies of CDs and/or DVDs that YOU DON'T OWN - whether they were rented, or borrowed from friends.

Draw your own conclusions...

Comment

• jbum01
          • Apr 2003

i guess im ok, but...

well i guess i really do not have to worry too muhc about getting busted, but what was this guy speaking of at best buy with everyone getting busted? and with these signals you supposeively send out over the internet? I just want to know if there is any possible way at all people can know i am ripping and then burning these movies as data discs? I may sound paranoyed, but i swear this guy at best buy scared the balls off me...

thanks
          jbum01

Comment

• jbum01
            • Apr 2003

sorry but again...

sorry, but again, not so much the legalization issue of the whole thing, but how much of a chance do i have getting caught? Is someone watching me rip all these dvds on my computer now? Am i safe from getting caught?

Comment

• chaosmaker
              • Apr 2003

Read this

and this

I my mind the laws contradict each other, you have one that says we have "fair rights" and one that says if we catch you making those copies your busted. We'll just have to see what the supreme court says, since thats where one of these stories is heading.

but one thing is for certain you do not have the right to download movies or music and put it on your hard drive let alone a cd.

Can you be caught? sure the story is right here in this post, but we will have to see where it goes too.

Comment

• jbum01
                • Apr 2003

thanks, but...

I appreciate all the information, but what i really want to know is the likelyhood of getting caught ripping dvds. if i go to the local rental shop, rent a dvd, and rip it, is there any possibility i am going to get caught? Am i sending signals to authority like the guy at best buy said? I live in small town america, and want to use these dvds for personal use. am i going to get caught? I just want to get facts before i continue doing this, because the fine isnt going to fit well if i get caught. please just inform me of the likelyhood of me getting caught renting and ripping.

thanks
                jbum01

Comment

• layer3maniac
                  • Sep 2002

Your chances of getting busted doing that are about the same as your chances of living to be 300 years old. I mean it theoretically COULD happen...

Comment

• BigfootDT
                    • May 2003

I live in Canada but I think the laws are similar, to the US.
                    I was listening to the head of the Motion Picture Association (Canadian) being iterveiwed on the radio one day when the topic of copying VCR Movies from a rented or borrowed movie came up.
                    His comment? If you rented a movie and make one copy for you own personal use (no selling or renting etc. ) it is perfectly legal.

The main point being PERSONAL USE.

Was very suprised at this comment but mabey copying a movie for personal use falls under the FAIR USE Laws eg copying a TV progarm is NOT illegal.

Besides if they tried to charge everyone that made backups of movies tapes, comuputer software etc they wouldn't have time in the courts to even prosecute a trafic ticket.

Comment

• Qyd
                      Digital Video Technician
                      Digital Video Technician
                      • Oct 2002

Most of the time I'm away from home in a country with no video rental stores: is it fair use if I rent DVD's home, "back them up" and see them in a place where I coudn't rent them? IMHO yes
                      Last edited by Qyd; 6 May 2003, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• BigfootDT
                        • May 2003

No idea, I am not a lawyer and I beleive there are some court battles going on right now over just what IS fair use of a CDR-DVDR device.

I would think the legality of viewing of copyed or backuped movies would depend on the country you are in. For all I know in some countries you could get 20 years.....after all there are a few countries the have capital punishment fo impaired driving.

It could very well be that the courts haven't decided Yet.

Anyone know?

Anyway most of the time they are not looking to charge people for copying something for personal use. They are after people that copy for profit.

I do know that North America saw the VCR five years later then the rest of the world because some of the large corporations that produced TV show had a injuction that forbid sale if them until it was lifted by the courts five years after the were in use in Japan. (Sony Batamax).

Comment

Working...