Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daKlone
    • Apr 2003

XP Users Warning

When backing up the R2 DVD 'Notting Hill' using DVDShrink 1.03, my firewall threw up a new Internet connection attempt by a program called 'LSASHELL.EXE' (or could have been 'LSSHELL.EXE'). The program was attempting to connect to an IP address 153.43.240.3.

A quick 'whois' revealed that this IP is registered to the Los Angeles Municipal Court.

When I refused to allow the connection, my PC locked up. I attempted the backup again, and again the connection was attempted and when refused the PC locked up.

Now, I'm not jumping to any conclusions as to what exactly is going on, but I'd recommend that you check carefully what your PC is up to while backing up DVDs...perhaps consider disconnecting from the Internet whilst doing it...
  • DVDIdiot
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Oct 2002

Thanks for this information, daKlone

I've never heard of this, but I usually do everything offline and never use my PC while backing up so I really had no problem with this at all. Even, I do, all my backups are my own original copies.

We should be smart, not to rent movies from Netflix and then copy it...Ya' know that it's illegal to do so...Always buy and never rent it...Would you rather pay $20 or $100,000 plus a 10 yrs in jail for doing illegal copies???

Happy Memorial Day Everyone!!!
    DVD Step-by-Step Guides
    http://dvdplanet.fateback.com

Comment

• franksmith
      • May 2003

Sound's like Microsoft?

Is this a Microsoft program?

Have you tried Smartripper or DVD DeCriptor to see if they have the same problem?

Frank

Comment

• dvdshrink
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2003

Just in case anyone is wondering, I can assure you this has nothing to do with DVD Shrink.

DVD Shrink does not connect to the internet or log your activities. It does not contain spyware. If you are running a firewall then you will be aware of this fact, since the firewall will report to you of any internet connections attempted.

Regards -
        dvdshrink
        Last edited by dvdshrink; 7 Jun 2003, 01:18 AM.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2003

hmmmmmmm.....

MPAA bastards (hey you can't get me on that one. It says it at the top of the forum sometimes in the Active Window name)

Comment

• FXP
            • Jun 2003

Bizarre...

Originally posted by daKlone
            When backing up the R2 DVD 'Notting Hill' using DVDShrink 1.03, my firewall threw up a new Internet connection attempt by a program called 'LSASHELL.EXE' (or could have been 'LSSHELL.EXE'). The program was attempting to connect to an IP address 153.43.240.3.
            I don't have any files called "LSASHELL.EXE" nor "LSSHELL.EXE" inside my Windows XP !

I can guarantee that DVD Shrink 1.03 is 200% clean !

Make a proper install of your Windows XP, remove all the spywarez, Ghost it & try again...
            Last edited by FXP; 7 Jun 2003, 02:45 AM.

Comment

• dvdshrink
              Super Moderator
              • Apr 2003

When backing up the R2 DVD 'Notting Hill'
              It was probably triggered by your appalling choice of movie

Comment

• FXP
                • Jun 2003

By the way...

-> daKlone

By the way, just give a try to DVD Shrink 2.0 & don't hesitate to tell us if you discovered any spywarez in it...

I've just flamenco-danced with it & it rocks !

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2003

DVDShrink (I never used it) but I can almost garuntee it would be clean. It was most likely caused from the DVD

Comment

• daKlone
                    • Apr 2003

Re: Bizarre...

Originally posted by FXP
                    I don't have any files called "LSASHELL.EXE" nor "LSSHELL.EXE" inside my Windows XP !

I can guarantee that DVD Shrink 1.03 is 200% clean !

Make a proper install of your Windows XP, remove all the spywarez, Ghost it & try again...
                    My apologies FXP, the file in question is in fact called 'lsass.exe' and can be found in your WINDOWS\System32 folder, it's just that my firewall reported it as LSA Shell (Export Version).

Comment

• dvdshrink
                      Super Moderator
                      • Apr 2003

A search on google for "lsass.exe" will make it quite clear this is not a part of DVD Shrink, although what it actually is, I am none the wiser!

Comment

• daKlone
                        • Apr 2003

Apparently it stands for Local Security Authentication Server, which appears to be something to do with authenticating log on requests.

Don't ask me what that's got to do with backing-up DVDs 'cos I ain't got a clue!

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Jan 2003

Athenticating log on requests shouldn't send any info.

Keep useing DVDShrink people don't worry

Comment

Working...