DVD2One / DVD Shrink / DVD2DVD-R / movie clip test

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duartix
    • Jun 2003

Well I can't objectively find any visible diference between any of the videos watching in a LCD monitor at 1024x768.

Comment

• ddlooping
      Super Moderator
      • May 2003

And the test continues....

After having been justifyingly criticised for not having included DVD2One v1.2 in the test (was it available at the time?), I gave it the "The Majestic" treatment.

Same testing conditions:
      Movie-only (6.85GB); AC3 5.1 English only; English, Italian, Spanish, French subtitles; no start/end cropping.

Using DVD Shrink's "Start/End" feature in the Re-Author mode, I cropped the same 17 second clip as in the previous test.

DVD2One 1.2 variable bitrate mode:
      No perceivable improvement when compared to v1.13; even while viewing in WinDVD pan & scan mode to zoom in.

DVD2One 1.2 constant bitrate mode:
      An extremely disappointing result.
      For lack of a better way of describing it, the movie clip looks like a series of heavily compressed jpg images.

Here is the zip file for the constant bitrate version (not sure if I'll bother with the vbr one).

Tomorrow I'll do the "Armageddon" test.
      (as if anyboy cared, lol)

P.S: I was really hoping for DVD2One to fare better.
      I'm in it for quality of backups (hence my time consuming tests), not to promote DVD Shrink at the expense (not pun intended) of DVD2One or any other software.
      I am the first to admit that DVD Shrink has its limit in terms of compression/quality ratio (I use DVD2DVD-R/CCE when I believe this limit has been reached).
      It only looks to me that it does a better job than the other compression-based softwares. :/
      Last edited by ddlooping; 8 Jul 2003, 11:29 AM.
      Happy Shrinking!! ~ddlooping~
      For guides and downloads, please visit DVDShrink.info.
      My "other" site: Teaching-Tools.

Comment

• wAYouT
        • Sep 2003

Hi all,

first time for me in a forum.
        Just (I hope) a quick contribute.

I'd compared all of these software for archiving my DVB records.

What normally I try yo achieve is putting 2 movies on a single DVD-R. Most of them takes more or less two hour with 256Kbps Surrond Audio. Normally it take 2.7-3.1Gb uncompressed, making impossible for me putting two of them on the same DVD without using compression.

For my tests I'd tried Dvd2One, DvdShrink, IC7, CloneDVD and manual process using CCE with DoCCE4U.

For producing the MASTER I use TMPGEnc DVDAuthor.

For various of my tests NO ONE of the One Click Tools is able to contain block artifacts, the ONLY way acceptable for me is reencoding movies manually with CCE using RoBa Method.

Using this type of source what I got as result score in most of the cases is IC7, DvdShrink and Dvd2One/CloneDVD.

Speaking of these One-Click solution in the world of DVD backup I can only say that the ONLY strenght of these softwares is speed.

Considering using AnyDVD with Dvd2One in Movie Only backups can give you a decent backup to be watched on TV screens in less then one our including burning.

For what I was able to get till now, despite time, the best method for having a good backup is using DVD2DVD-R. At the middle level I consider the pair DvdShrink (For ripping the Movie) and IC7 with magic wizard (For compress the title) a good compromise beetwen Quality and Speed. Dvd2One and DvdShrink at the same place with the only advantage of the speed but despite quality. At the last place the ****ty CloneDVD that should be levaved alone till elby didn't publish the new compress engine.

Sorry for my english,

I hope sleeping at least 4 hours tonight.

Comment

• ddlooping
          Super Moderator
          • May 2003

Hello and welcome, wAYouT.

Thanks for your quality report.

As you can see, I had started this thread a while ago, hence the dead links in all my posts.

A couple of questions though:
          Were your tests done with DVD Shrink v3.0 beta 5, using the "Deep Analysis".
          Did you try changing the end-credits to still pictures (see following link) so as to use even less compression on the movie?

Comment

• wAYouT
            • Sep 2003

Test with deep analisys

Thank for a so quick reply.

Honestly speaking I didn't know the existence of a version 3b5 of DvdShrink befor today. I always used version 2.3. May be I'd missed some news on Doom9 site.

Anyway, I'd downloaded that version just this morning and started some tests.

Unfortunately I have deleted my uncopressed version of DVB record of Shallow Hal just yesterday night. Most of the softwares have difficults in managing first scene in disco creating a lot of artifacts after compressing in only 2Gigs (with 256kbs audio), so I was not able to judge quality for that case.

I'd tryed different movies today, not so significant or complex to manage, but I was able to compare the result with other competitors.

First of all I have to spend some words about the big work behind DvdShrink. As conclaimed by internet community, DvdShrink is quite impressive, even more considering it's totally free. First time I fired up version 2.3 I was amazed by most of the possibility it gave to me, even if the choise to have fixed levels of compressions let me disappointed. Any version before 2.3 dindn't came on my PC because I had to manage DVB sources with a resolution of 544x576 for 4:3 Movies. So, most of the authoring programs refuse to manage sources like that without resizing them to any DVD compliant resolution. The only way to achieve that was using CCE and AviSynth.

The second point for which I didn't used DvdShrink is that It doesn't run on my PowerBook G4 (never tried with VirtualPC). The only tool avilable in one click solution is one more time Dvd2OneX.

At the time I started (one year ago) Dvd2OneX was the only possibility to have Full disk copy on my Mac. Reasons for using Mac were the bigger portable disk (60Gigs) and the DVD-R recorder, letting me able to backup on the road.

Due to the poor results gained with Dvd2OneX I finally took the decision to move back to PC (even for the better DvdDecrypter rip despite the simple and not so 100% affidable DVDBackup 1.3) and the coming of AnyDVD that let bakup procedure directly from Dvd Readers.

Sorry fo rthis long introduction, but I wish to let you know how good I founded DvdShrink.

Having used today version 3b5 what I thought was "He got CCE code in it!". Deep analisys gave me brilliant results on all of my tests. Considering time taken for having a backup (less then one hour and an half including burning and deep analysis) I cannot avoid to be wonderized by DvdShrink. In addition, DvdShrink dosen't suffer the problem of DVD2DVD-R that sometimes miss some automatic subltitles. Honestly I didn't have a copy of Scenarist, and I use IfoEdit mode for authoring, so I can even think that subtitles problems shall be derivated by IfoEdit.

I wish to give you more data and maybe even some suggestions if needed. In the meanwhile, I wish to inform you I will try DvdShrink even more during these days (possible starting from monday due to the fact that from tomorrow I'll be on the beach).

Thanks a lot,

wAYouT

Comment

• ddlooping
              Super Moderator
              • May 2003

Thanks for this detailed post, wAYouT.

There are still some occasions when I also use DVD2DVDR, but they are few and far between.

If you have any questions, want to post suggestions, feedback or simply try and help other DVD Shrink users, the official forums are here, at Digital Video Forums:

Some threads you might find interesting:
              - Possible features in next release (due sometime in October):

- Requested features compilation:

And don't forget to check the guides at: http://www.dvdshrink.info
              Some of them go beyond the usual stuff.

Have a great time at the beach.
              Last edited by ddlooping; 26 Sep 2003, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...