Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DarkMatter
    • Jun 2003

Best method of data verification?

I usually don't have time to watch my burned discs. But since my video storage partition is only 40GB I've got to get the stuff off pretty quick. How do y'all ensure you've got a clean copy before deleting the video file? I usually use Nero's data verification but that takes longer than the burn sometimes. I'm not totally satified that it is thorough enough anyway. I've read something about K's Probe but haven't been able to find it. I've used DVD Decrypter to rip the disc back and then check the read error log. But that doesn't work if there's not enough space on the HDD. There is also the issue of having better quality laser/read hard and software in a PC DVD drive than is in a stand alone. I've had a couple disks (usually cheap ones) verify OK on my computer but skip in my player. Too many times I've deleted the image forever and later discovered the disc has skips. A nice finicky and fast checker would be great. But, does it exist?
  • _mutant_
    • Jun 2003

What I do is put the DVD into dvd player and go through each chapter. Have a look at each chapter for about half a minute or a minute. So far it has worked for me.

Comment

• DarkMatter
      • Jun 2003

I've done that too. But my main problem is (are?) reliable predictible skips. Sometimes only 1 5-10 second skip per disc. Always in the exact same spot each time it's played. Random checks of chapters usually won't find these. I've been reduced to leaving the image on my HDD until I've watched the disc start to end. I was hoping there was some software that could do this quickly.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

Get a kid down the street to watch all of them

Comment

• DarkMatter
          • Jun 2003

Yeah I would, but it's hard to find good help these days. That, and I don't think his mom would appreciate my supplying her son with videos full of sex, violence, and other assorted obscenities.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2003

Ok find a dumb adult and do it

Comment

• DarkMatter
              • Jun 2003

Hey, I'm not too bright,

If lack of brain wattage is the criterion for selection for this job, I'm the perfect canidate. I'll guess we'll call that 'probem solved'.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Jan 2003

lol That is the only way I can think of sorry.

Comment

Working...