Clear All
  • lumberjack
    • Jun 2003

Video corruption and random lockups with set top players

Info:
    burner: sony dru500a
    Media: 4x blanks dvd-r's
    Burning app: Nero

Set top dvd player: Panasonic "old unit from when dvd players were first out, non progressive scan"
    D!G!X dvd player "plays everything no problems, not progressive scan"
    jvc xv-s65 "progressive scan"
    kenwood dv-605 "progressive scan"

I'm encountering video corruption and hard locks with the set top player when I play my dvd backups.

Is their anyone else that is encountering these problems also? Or does anyone know of a reason for this? buffer not large enough? dvd drive not fast enough? but it seems as though only the name brand models have this problem the off brand dvd players play the backups fine.

and I have also checked these backups on the pc they work fine, you can ff through the whole movie or you can skip through it doesn't cause any type of problems in the pc just in the set top players this problems occurs.

If anyone has any ideas or anything plese let me know as I'm totally stumped with this, I can't see how it can work in the computer but not the set top. And I know that the disks are fine as they play in the pc. so the only thing I can think of is that it is a hardware issue with set top players.

thx
  • lumberjack
    • Jun 2003

there isn't anyone having this problem?

Comment

• lumberjack
      • Jun 2003

Well I found out that the cheap 4x media that I have is Princo, So I tried burning a movie onto a sony dvd-r disk it is only a 2x disk. so I then played it in my set top player, ff throught the whole movie fine, no artifacting, no audio problems, no lock ups nothing, So now I know this is the problem. But I'm not going to stop using them, because they are cheap, and I can take these princo disks and they work fine in a dvd-rom drive in a pc. so if I take the info off the disk then burn them on other media that will also work. So now the quesion is compatablity or quanity?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Princo, which once upon a time, had a reputation for making excellent CD-Rs. Unfortunately, this ability did not translate to DVD-Rs. The 'Net is rife with postings attesting to the absolutely terrible quality, inconsistency, and unreliability of Princo DVD-Rs...

Comment

• captaincodyt
          • Oct 2004

Same problem

Lumberjack

I have the same problem as you with my Kenwood DV-605 with the backups. I use DVDxCopy, and the DVD's work fine in my pc, or Playstation2. Are you still having this problem?
          Media=Ritek DVD-R 8x, Sony DVD-R 4x

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• vchu7105
            • Nov 2004

Same problems with the Kenwood DV 605

Using DVDX Copy Exress with a sony internal burner. Ritek 4x dvd-r disk. Kenwood does not work, but disk work on many other DVD players.

Comment

• sfheath
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Sep 2003

Check out www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers - looks like a few brands fail on Kenwood.
              This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

Working...