Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pdeboer
    • Aug 2003

Black bar removal

While backing up my dvd's they result in having black bars (top n bottom). I used dvd shrink (3.0) to compress unwanted stuff and the result is a set of *.vob, *.ifo, and some more, ready to be burned...

Can anyone explain to me what the most effective procedure is to get rid of the bars?

My procedure:
    - start any dvd
    - use dvd-decrypter to get files to my HD
    - start dvdshrink or Clone dvd
    - burn it.

Help is verry much appreciated!

Pat
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Do you realise, that you are burning widescreem films?

There is no way to get rid of the bars. If you don't like them, stick with 4:3 versions of films.

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

Using AVISYNTH you can crop the film, but you will end up with either a distorted image, or the excessive cropping will cut off some portions of the video. Some software players also have the ability to change aspect ratio.
      Last edited by Batman; 18 Aug 2003, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To pdeboer

"Can anyone explain to me what the most effective procedure is to get rid of the bars?"

(Just kidding ;.}) - View on a widescreen TV...

Comment

• pdeboer
          • Aug 2003

right...

Now comments have been given, maybe stupid question to some of you but I have some extra comments...

I have a widescreen television, also playback of a 120" projectionscreen using beamer, so shouldn't have problems with widescreen movies.

The borders also appear on some movies on the right and left-hand side of the main screen...

Could this be a result from using PAL movies as input for the tools I mentioned... Are these tools using NTSC as video format screwing up my results?

Just a thought:
          When creating or watching DivX movies I never had this problem. I have used the "clip frame" option in TMPGEnc, could this resolve the problem?

Any comments from someone who wants to help?

Pat

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Could this be a result from using PAL movies as input for the tools I mentioned... Are these tools using NTSC as video format screwing up my results?"

None of the three programs you've alluded to should be impacted by PAL versus NTSC (and if they were, the problem wouldn't exhibit itself in the manner you've described).

1) While playing back any of these "problem" DVDs on your standalone DVD player, have you tried to use your DVD player's "Settings" or "Display" to choose from amongst the usually available settings of "4:3 (Pan and Scan)", "4:3 Letterbox", and "16:9 Widescreen"

2) It is also possible that the movies exhibiting "top and bottom" black bars are anamorphic 2.35:1 (even wider and narrower than 16:9), in which case you (and the rest of the world) just have to tolerate the bars

Comment

• megamachine
              Video Fiddler
              • Mar 2003

You can `eliminate` the bars by resizing the video in TMPGEnc. Just recalculate the 16:9 ratio to 4:3. If your DVD player lets you switch to 4:3, you can preview the way it will look before spending time on re-encoding. This is what they did to those movies in pre-wide screen TV days, that began with the message `the following movie has been reformatted to fit your television.` The trade off is that you either have to `stretch` the picture or trim off a percent of the frame on the left and right sides to maintain the proper aspect ratio. Much of the action takes place in the center anyway, and I have trimmed several movies without any really overly annoying differences. I guess it`s a matter of taste, and trying out some variations for yourself. Best wishes.

Comment

Working...