X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ptitgarsparis
    • Aug 2003

DVD-9 reading speed probleme with Sony DRU 510a and DSS installed

Hello!

Being bored with reading DVD-Video at 2x speed, I've just installed Sony DSS utility.

I put my Sony DRU 510a in OverDriver mode.

I tryied ripping some DVD-9, and I always get a 4x reading speed, where everybody seems to get, as I can read on various forums, between 5,5x and 8x !

Ok my installation is a quite complicated one. As far as I have a notebook PIV, I bought a USB 2.0 external 5 1/4 bay and put the DRU 510 a inside. I also bought an Adaptec USB 2.0 Connect Card Bus to have my PC support USB 2.0. And this works.

Does anyone have an idea why I only get a 4x reading speed where 8x is announced by most of users?

Thanks in advance.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I tryied ripping some DVD-9, and I always get a 4x reading speed, where everybody seems to get, as I can read on various forums, between 5,5x and 8x !"

1) "Reading" and "ripping" are not synonymous. Pure reading is a single function. Ripping involves reading (as one component), decrypting (eliminating copy protection), and writing

2) The higher NET read speeds you allude to are typically accomplished on DVD ROMs (readers, not burners) that are rated at up to 16x "read speed"

Comment

• ptitgarsparis
      • Aug 2003

I am refering to people telling their Sony DRU 510a reading speed under DVDDecrypter is shown as being average 8x on a dual layer DVD... I cannot get more than 4x.

But I agree with you. Maybe that's the other hardware (processor, hard drive) that makes ripping slower and that does not need the burner to read at more than 4x......

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I am refering to people telling their Sony DRU 510a reading speed under DVDDecrypter is shown as being average 8x on a dual layer DVD"

Either you've misread something or these "people" are simply lying. Sony JUST, yesterday or so, provided the upgrade to allow the 510 series to have a MAXIMUM read (NOT "rip") speed of 8x...

If it really bothers you, you could, for about $40US, buy a separate DVD ROM with 16X read speed. This is actually a good idea if you intend to do a great deal of burning, because your burner will last a lot longer if it's not used to do any reading...
        Last edited by setarip; 25 Aug 2003, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...