Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mr_jbloggs
    • Aug 2003

Help, problem burning from HD to DVD?

ok, here is my scenario, I ripped a DVD to Harddrive (Rambo III) using DVDShrink (all files) and I also have a home movie (DVD image, TS_VIDEO) on the hard drive created from Pinnacle Studio 8.

Now I wanted to write them to DVD, So I tried using the DVD-Video option in Nero 6 to do this, I simply dragged the all the files ripped using DVDShrink into the VIDEO_TS folder and then started the Burn process. First time I tried it did about 5% and came back with a Burn Fail message (nothing helpful as to why it failed), I tried again and this time it got to 3% and failed. I then tried to burn my home video and that failed to burn as well. So then I tried with RecordNow DX using the Create Data disc option. RecordNow DX, I found, is not very user friendly, there are no options that says copy DVD let alone how to do it from a disk image. But that failed as well. Well all in all I must have created over a dozen coasters by experimenting with different options on both the Nero 6 and RecordNow DX with no successful result. I also used two different media, Kypermedia (DVD-R) and COMPUSA (FMI) DVD-R. Also one thing to note is that I successfully burned my homevideo directly from Pinnacle Studio 8 onto the Kypermedia DVD-R disc. I'm just frustrated now, I don't what I'm doing wrong with the burning software and I don't really understand all the options in these software.

Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

A "Burn failed" message is indicative only of either faulty media or a burner problem - not incorrect usage of burning software.

1) What is the make and model of your burner?

2) Have you installed the latest firmware update (if any) for the burner?

3) Try higher quality, branded (e.g. Maxell, Verbatim, Memorex, Sony, etc.) media

4) Until you've resolved your difficulty, I'd strongly suggest you use REWRITABLE DVDs ;>}

Comment

• mr_jbloggs
      • Aug 2003

Thanks for a quick reply. The answers to your questions are :-

1) What is the make and model of your burner?

I have the Sony DRU510A (Multi Format) DVD Writer.

2) Have you installed the latest firmware update (if any) for the burner?

I'm not sure where/how to find the current firmware version or where to get latest firmware version.

V3) Try higher quality, branded (e.g. Maxell, Verbatim, Memorex, Sony, etc.) media

I just bought some Philips DVD+R (2.4X) media and that worked with both Nero 6 and RecordNow DX. So it looks like both Kypermedia and CompUSA (FMI) DVD-R media are not compatible with the Sony Drive. So now I need to get some better quality DVD-R media and make sure that there is no problem writing to DVD-R media.

Thanks again for your prompt reply. This forum is great.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Thanks again for your prompt reply."

My pleasure ;>}

"This forum is great."

Yes, it is...

Glad to hear that it was only a media "situation". In general, using decent quality media is pretty much a requirement for DVD burners. From my own experience, I'd suggest that for a good price/quality ratio, look for "Ritek" DVD-Rs and/ DVD+Rs.

Comment

Working...