Can I backup my entire hard drive using Sonydru510a ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue rain
    • Sep 2003

Can I backup my entire hard drive using Sonydru510a ?

Hi All,

I currently have 2 hard drives in raid o 40 gigs each. The problem is they are too small for me to backup my dvds that I OWN.

So here's the thing..I want to buy 2 new hard drives 160 gigs each and install them,but i don't know how to save evrything on my current drives. I would hate to have to install everything all over.

So my question to you is..Can I backup everything to a DVD or CD using my Sonydru510a?

Thanks so much : >
    Deborah
  • solara
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Aug 2003

Yes you can back up everything to your DVD - but you'd need multiple DVDs (+RW would be best).
    Using programs like Norton Ghost or DriveImage you can back up your hard disks and have it compressed.

Or you can just hook up your new drives (as long as your system has enough cables to hook all up), and transfer data from one drive to the next. If not, remove one 40 HD, install one of the 160 and transfer all your files. Then remove that 40, install the other 40, and transfer again. Then install your second 160.

There are also software out there that will clone your current smaller drive onto the new larger drive. I forget name but you can search for it easily enough on goggle.

Comment

• WildmanJoe
      • Jan 2003

Why don't you just get a PCI expansion card which gives you 2 additional IDE cable slots (effectively an additional 4 IDE devices). This saves you the trouble of reinstalling everything such as your OS and stuff.

Comment

• Lead
        • Sep 2003

i suggest that you use norton ghost and make images on a hard drive and the instal the others as slave use again norton ghost to put it on the new drive, then put as master the new drive. Hope to be of some help

Comment

Working...