Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloSoldier
    • Sep 2003

Multisessions with DVD-r

Hello, I'm a newbie and was hoping if someone could please advise on the following:

I wish to backup part of my Hard Disk Drive (HDD) (just certain folders) onto RITEK G04 DVD-r discs using a Pioneer A06 burner and RecordNow Max v4.5.

I run Windows 2000 Pro with all the latest service packs and patches on a Duron 1.3Gh system with 512 PC133 RAM.

I would like to multisession if it is at all possible, like I used to when I had a CD burner.

Thankyou,

BuffaloSoldier
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I would like to multisession if it is at all possible"

As far as I know, that's impossible to do with burnable DVDs (other than, possibly, DVD-RAM)...

Comment

• BuffaloSoldier
      • Sep 2003

Thanks setarip for your reply, much appreciated.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Thanks setarip for your reply, much appreciated."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• RotaryPower3
          • Aug 2003

I saw this post and was surprised! I've only had my burner about 6 weeks now and just assumed multisessioning was going to be the same as cd.

So I gave one a shot with Nero 5.5... , it didn't read in my burner(A05) or my dvd-rom drive (LiteOn) but you could still see the files in Nero? So I burnt another session onto the disk, which both drives could now read but only the first session! I then burnt a third session and closed the disk.... all files available in both drives.

^^^ I did get this warning before burning though^^^
          Attached Files
          Last edited by RotaryPower3; 8 Sep 2003, 12:18 AM.

Comment

• BuffaloSoldier
            • Sep 2003

Hello RotaryPower3, thanks for your reply, I also looked at your attached JPG file. I received the same warning as you did. When using Nero 5.5, how did you exactly close the disk as you mentioned? I assume you closed the multisession? Sorry, I'm very new to most of this. When I burnt CD disks with data on them in my old CD-burner, I usually burnt full disks and NERO usually asks if I want to close the session when the disk becomes full. So I would click on <yes>. However, now I have a DVD-burner, creating multisessions is more difficult. For example, if I burnt 1Gb of data onto a DVD-r disk, then I will not be able to read that disk until I either add another multisession onto that same disk, or possibly close the disk. It is not exactly the same as it was when we had CDs and CD-burners.

Anyway, thanks again for your efforts.

Kind regards,

BuffaloSoldier

Comment

• RotaryPower3
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by BuffaloSoldier
              how did you exactly close the disk as you mentioned? I assume you closed the multisession?

For example, if I burnt 1Gb of data onto a DVD-r disk, then I will not be able to read that disk until I either add another multisession onto that same disk, or possibly close the disk. It is not exactly the same as it was when we had CDs and CD-burners.
              I closed the disk just by checking the "finalize dvd" box.

You could also just burn another session with an empty folder or any old file, so that you could access the previous session.

Comment

• BuffaloSoldier
                • Sep 2003

Hello RotaryPower3, thanks again for your reply message. Just to clarify: if i burn for example 1Gb of data to a DVD-r disk and tick the check box to "finalise DVD", then burn another session (be it an empty folder just a single file) on that same DVD-r disk, can I actually do this after finalising the DVD when i burnt my 1Gb of data? I thought that once you finalised a disk, that you could not burn any more sessions on that disk??

Could you please clarify,

Kind regards,

BuffaloSoldier

Comment

• RotaryPower3
                  • Aug 2003

Once you finalize it, that's it for the disk. I was just saying that you could burn another session with any old file just so you could access the previous session(s).... you only want to close it when you're finished writing ALL the data you want to put on it.i.e it's full......

the best way to understand what I'm talking about is to try it yourself.

Comment

• BuffaloSoldier
                    • Sep 2003

Hello RotaryPower3, thanks again - i'll give it a go and see what happens

Comment

Working...