capture segments of DVDs on my computer...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RingOFire
    • Sep 2003

capture segments of DVDs on my computer...

Hi all,

Here is what I want to do:

*Pop a DVD into my computer.
    *Run software that will play the DVD, but will also let me capture (to AVI or whatever)segments of the DVD. Not rip the whole DVD. I need to hit "record" and rip small segments here and there.

Is there anything out there that will allow me to do this? Willing to pay also. Doesn't have to be free.

Thanks ahead of time.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

What do you ultimately desire to do with these clips? - and, if the possibilities were unlimited, in what format?

Comment

• RingOFire
      • Sep 2003

Thanks for responding.

My intention is to take clips of movies and edit them together, with music (using Premiere), to create a trailer-like piece.

This will inevitably be used to pitch an entertainment idea to a client who likes to see a visual represention of the "attitude" of the product.

I have done these before using an ATI card inputting from an external DVD player. What I really want to do is play the DVD using the drive in my computer and capture it as it plays. Starting and stopping the capture when I want. There seems to be plenty of software to grab stills this way. I haven't found one for movies.

Final file format doesn't matter. I will use a program like VirtualDub to convert it to what would be useable in Premiere.

Comment

• RingOFire
        • Sep 2003

Wow. Over 11,000 posts. You are a Demi-god.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"My intention is to take clips of movies and edit them together, with music (using Premiere), to create a trailer-like piece.

This will inevitably be used to pitch an entertainment idea to a client who likes to see a visual represention of the "attitude" of the product."

In light of the fact that it's illegal to use copyrighted material, without authorization, for personal gain, I cannot, in good conscience provide you with the information you've requested...

Comment

• RingOFire
            • Sep 2003

Setarip, you misunderstand.

This is not a movie that would be sold for retail or released to the public to help advertise a product.

Let me explain. I work for a video game developer whose parent company is a game publisher. We are presenting an idea for a game design that they either will green light production on or not. We present them (one person) with design docs to explain the design, prototypes of the game engine, conceptual drawings of main characters... etc.

They also like to see a short movie with clips from films that represent the "flavor" of what this product will embody- if it is green-lighted. It is the equivalent of us saying to them: it's 5th Element meets StarShip troopers. I could have the two discs handy and pop them in and show them a space ship scene in Star Ship Troopers and a City scape from 5th Element. But for time and managment purposes it's better to take those two clips and edit them back to back in a one minute piece for him to view.

The piece is used as a communication tool to explain an idea to someone who either says "yes I like that idea" or "no I don't like the idea- back to the drawing board".

After the meeting the movie gets delete. It is used once, seen by about 3 people to help communicate an idea.

So will you help me?

Comment

• WildmanJoe
              • Jan 2003

I strongly suggest that you rip the whole DVD to your hdd first. This extends the life of your DVD-Rom Once macrovision is removed, you can use most authoring programs to rip out selected parts of the movie. If you're ripping out small enough segments to be considered a 'trailer', it should be legitimate.... Divx-Digest hosts trailers too... a few of them at least for a limited time.

Comment

• RingOFire
                • Sep 2003

I will try that Wildman. THANKS!!

Comment

• WildmanJoe
                  • Jan 2003

You're wel-cum

Comment

• RingOFire
                    • Sep 2003

Can you recommend an authoring tool that can take the VOB, read it and allow me to take a small section of it and convert it to say an AVI or Quicktime?

Thanks.

Comment

• RingOFire
                      • Sep 2003

I need some education.

I am using DVD Decrypter to rip the DVDs to my hard drive. That leaves me with VOB files. These are Mpeg2, right? I can play them with WinDVD. But I have not found an authoring tool that can read it, and convert chunks of the VOB files.

I downloaded Elecard Mpeg2 decoder and installed it, thinking it would allow VirualDub to be able to read the VOB files, but it didn't work.

Is there a program that reads and edits Mpeg2? (if that is infact what VOB files are?)

Comment

• RingOFire
                        • Sep 2003

Nevermind. I figured it out myself. If anyone is interested. Rip your DVD (thanks Wildman) to your HDD and convert and edit the clips using TMPGEnc. Here's how:

Comment

Working...