Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orlando
    • Mar 2003

Has this happened to you??

So, I ripped The Beach to my hard drive then compressed it with DVD Shrink and compressed all of the extra features to still pictures.... I set everthing so that the disc would originally be 4.45GB but after deleting the vobs of the extra features, it fit onto a DVD. When playing this DVD from the hard drive with missing VTS_05_01.VOB, VTS_06_01.VOB, VTS_07_01.VOB etc, the disc played fine and I could navigate all the menus correctly. After I burnt it to disc, the DVD would still load, but the menus wouldn't respond properly and when I went to play the movie, first it took me to the chapter selection menu and then the extra features menu before playing the movie (The movie does work) I also did this with the Animatrix, but it worked just fine. The only difference in the case of the animatrix is in the selection features of which the VOBs no longer exist. When played from the hard drive, a selection of the deleted would take me back to the special features screen, where I tried to select the deleted feature. When trying the same thing on the disc it would freeze WinDVD 4, but I could get back by hitting the menu button on the control panel.

Was just wondering if I should be looking at fooling around with IFOedit, or if anyone has experienced any similar problems.

Thanks

P.S. This has been my way of trying to keep menus but get rid of the extra features to increase quality of the movie itself.
  • windtrader
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Feb 2002

I don't think it is a good idea to just delete vobs from a set of authored files: ifos and vobs. There are many internal pointers and offsets that are invalidated when you remove sections of the video files.

The disc you created is toast. You might be able to generate a new set of IFOs using IFOEDIT, get VTS and reburn a new DVD with these new files.

Remember it is critical the IFO content must be based on the set of vobs. They are an integral set and generally, most attempts to mess with this ends in problems.

Comment

• echooff
      • May 2003

Yes. IFO Update and IFO Edit both if you intend to play with the files like this.

Comment

Working...