X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trakker
    • Sep 2003

Bitrate Loss - Can it be avoided?

First time poster...

Can I Rip and Burn to DVD a backup copy of my commercial movie title without losing bitrate?

I tried this on the Spiderman DVD. Ripped, compressed, and copied to a backup DVD- .

Audio loss was not significant but the picture appears slightly grainy and when I do a streaming comparison, the source (owned copy) has a bit rate at approximately 20 - 30 percent higher than the backup copy.

Now of course there is going to be a sacrifice if I'm taking a DVD with more than 4.7 GB of data and trying to fit that on my backup DVD.

I don't think I'm going to continue making backups if it means I'm going to sacrifce some audio or picture quality.

Solutions?

Can I copy my DVD onto two discs?

Is bitrate loss unavoidable?

• setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

It would be beneficial if you indicated what software and procedures you are using...

Comment

• solara
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Aug 2003

Yes you can backup your disc to 2 discs without any loss. DVDXCopy, DVDFab, and DVDShrink can do it too (but in re-author only, so you can't keep functioning menus).

Comment

• Trakker
        • Sep 2003

Lose the menus... sorry, I'm a total newb and I'm not following what that's supposed to mean.

The program is one a friend of mine has... he showed it to me and I wasn't smart enough to remember what it was... he was demonstrating how to back up the DVD. He would order it for me out of the U.S. if I liked it.

His processes is ripping and zipping to the HDD, in a compressed formate, unzipping to the DVD R (two formats tried, both can be read by my DVD player).

Does that help?

My comparison left me sort of well less than impressed as a loss of bitrate ain't what I'm looking for in a backup. I would rather get up and change discs instead if it means I have to backup over two because of the dual layers. If that's as good as it gets, I'm not likely to do any backing up of source material other than maybe comedies like Fawlty Towers or others that really don't require high bitrates.

Does anyone have a link here to a thread that they saved that basically is "Backing up DVD's 101?"

Comment

Working...