Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dickter
    • Oct 2003

All of a sudden I am making coasters

I have backed up lots of DVDs using DVD Decrypter and DVD2One and then burned them with Prassi using a QPS Que DVD RAM. All of a sudden I can't get anything to burn properly. The discs will burn 50% to 75% and then eject with errors. Is that possibly something that happens when your burner is going bad? I have checked for the latest firmware but can't find any.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) It could be bad media

2) Perhaps it's time to run a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your burner. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

• Dickter
      • Oct 2003

1) I've tried three different batches of media and have connected my burner to two different computers.

2) Thanks for the suggestion about the DVD/CD cleaning disc on my burner. I will give that a try.

3) I tried burning with Nero rather than Prassi and it burned about 50% and then gave me an error that said SCSI target error.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

If the cleaning disc doesn't do the trick, chances are the laser has gone out of alignment...

Comment

• Dickter
          • Oct 2003

How does one fix that?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

One takes one's burner to a reputable repair shop...

Comment

• ewan3k
              • Oct 2003

Possible solution...

I was using sony 500A writer successfully with DVD decryptor and DVD2ONE for some period of time and then for no reason also began to burn coasters. Having wasted close on 20 dvd-r's and re-installed my system from windows up, i discovered the problem. My D drive where my DVD2ONE films were was massivley fragmented. Do a full de-frag using either windows utilities (in control panel) or use diskeeper freely available on the net. I have not burned a coaster since.

Good luck

Comment

• Dickter
                • Oct 2003

I have determined the source of my problem. It was in the drive itself. I tried it on several different computers and always got the same error. I thought I would have to buy a new drive. I took it apart and cleaned it. I haven't made a coaster since. I too had wasted about 20 dvd-r's. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"I took it apart and cleaned it."

Less costly than taking it to a repair shop. Congratulations ;>}

Comment

• BLACKGHOST
                    Platinum Member
                    Platinum Member
                    • Sep 2003

im making coasters but of a different variety. Mine burn ok but then wont play back on home dvd player. They skip and jump, etc. What could be the problem? Hardware/Media/Software

Comment

• dazieg666
                      • Oct 2003

i was having this problem. I was informed that a part of te problem is the dvd laser will not read self created dvd's. Also i no longer use shrink to rip the disk only for shrinking.

Use dvd decrypter then dvd2one. Just did one tonight and got a perfect result.

film and all extras on the disk

hope this helps

Comment

• BLACKGHOST
                        Platinum Member
                        Platinum Member
                        • Sep 2003

i found that if i rip the image to hard drive and then burn out only using my dvd burner then perfect image. Soon as I use dvd-rom drive BANG SMASH JUMP so im thinking maybe my laser might be out of alignment on my dvd-rom drive. What you think???

Comment

Working...