X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LBussy
    • Oct 2003

Decoded DVD "skips" during play?

Hello all,

First let me say the guides here have been invaluable to me. Excellent work!

I've run into my first snag backing up a DVD. When I play certain tracks it starts fine, then I get a "skipping" and clicking and a graphic on the player that indicates there are other angles present but there really are not. Other tracks play fine.

When I use IfoEdit it does not indicate there are any camera angles (controls greyed out).

The DVD I am attempting to backup is Metallica, teh 2 DVD set with teh SF Symphony Orchestra.

Is this just some other form of cheesy copy protection the Metallica sellouts have devised or am I missing something?

Flames will be graciously ignored. Any help will of course be greatly appreciated.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) What software and procedures did you use to create your problematic DVD backups?

2) What software and procedures and media did you use to burn the DVDs?

3) Does the burned backup DVD exhibit this problematic behaviour on both a standalone DVD player (hooked up to a television) and your PC, or only one of the two (if so, which)?

4)Does the hard drive version of your DVD "package" play properly (as a "DVD", NOT as .VOBs) on your PC?

Comment

• LBussy
      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by setarip
      1) What software and procedures did you use to create your problematic DVD backups?
      DVD Decrypter to rip to disk, IfoEdit to split, ImgTool to make an ISO and DVD Decrypter to burn the DVD.

Basically I followed the directions at http://www.dvdr-digest.com/articles/18_4.html

3) Does the burned backup DVD exhibit this problematic behaviour on both a standalone DVD player (hooked up to a television) and your PC, or only one of the two (if so, which)?
      Both.

4)Does the hard drive version of your DVD "package" play properly (as a "DVD", NOT as .VOBs) on your PC?
      No I looked through it and it "skips" as well.

As I started the "Angles" option in IfoEdit was grayed out leading me to believe there was no angles but th player seems to think differently. I've just started a second rip where I selected "Multi-angle processing" and "Retain angle 1 in VOBs". I'm thinking that might do it but it will be a little while before I can check.

This time I know that the burned files will exhibit the same characteristics so I won;t waste DVDs on it before I find out.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

You might want to try the following simpler concept (and save a few DVDs in the process):

Use DVD Decrypter to "rip" the DVD to your hard drive in "File" mode - and from the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "All files" (NOT "movie files").

Then use DVD Shrink to "Open files" (NOT "Open Disk") - and select "VIDEO_TS.IFO".

You can then use DVD Shrink to compress, if necessary (You'll be pleasantly surprised at the resultant quality), so that you can fit one DVD9 onto one DVD5...

Comment

• LBussy
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by setarip
          YYou can then use DVD Shrink to compress, if necessary (You'll be pleasantly surprised at the resultant quality), so that you can fit one DVD9 onto one DVD5...
          I thought about that and I might do it to movies but as these are music/concerts I wanted the best quality. It's certainly next on my list of things to "master".

By the way, I checked my latest attempt on these and that setting on DVD Decrypter to maintain only one "angle" seems to have addressed the skipping. We'll see what happens when I burn it.

On a related issue, is there any way to "mount" my ISO image as a drive on Windows (XP) so that I can test it as a pseudo-burned image? Seems like something that should be possible but I've never seen a way to do it. I know there used to be CD emulators out there but they wanted the files copied.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"On a related issue, is there any way to "mount" my ISO image as a drive on Windows (XP) so that I can test it as a pseudo-burned image?"

Daemon Tools...

Comment

• LBussy
              • Oct 2003

Exactly what I needed, thank you.

Burned the new files by the way, the skipping is gone. Strange... multiple angles that don't exist. Bastages.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Exactly what I needed, thank you."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...