Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimwelsh
    • Oct 2003

Pioneer DVR-106D Problem

I have just bought a Pioneer DVR-106D and it is not writing properly. Written DVD discs are being identified as Audio CD's on my system.

I have downloaded the latest firmware from Pioneer but there is no difference. As this is the OEM version, I did not get any additional software drivers.

Are there any additional Windows drivers I need to install?

I am using Nero 6 and Pinnacle Instant Copy. My OS is
    Windows 98SE.

Would XP or Win ME be more compatible?
  • Oriphus
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Aug 2003

Yes, for Win98, you may need to instal drivers (available from Pioneer). WinXP will be better than Win98 for copying DVD's. Also, remember that with Win98 your hard drive is in FAT32 format (ie not capable of dealing with large files). With Xp you can format your hard drive to NTSF format allowing you to cope with larger files. Also remember that there are unofficial Firmware upgrades that will allow you to rip (decrypt) DVD's faster than the speed restricted Pioneer versions.
    http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• dnas
      • Nov 2003

Does your Nero 6 have the DVD extension so you can burn them as DVDs?
      You can't just copy the files from a DVD or after ripping them. You need the correct directory structure (with AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS, with all of the files in VIDEO_TS), and then it needs to be burned as a DVD.

If you just copy files, the PC could just recognise them as Audio only.

To test this, use "DVDdecrypter" on one of your DVDs (a single layer one is best, DVD-5). Select the mode as "Read ISO". Once you've ripped this, then select the mode as "Write ISO". Then burn the DVD. This should confirm whether you've been using Nero incorrectly.

Comment

• videopnut
        • Nov 2003

I have the same drive (retail version) and it runs fine on Win98SE with FAT32 connected to a Promise controller on an obsolete AT motherboard.

There's NO SUCH THING AS DVD WINDOWS DRIVERS!!. The software you're using is the key. I'm using the software that came bundled with the drive and it works fine.

When you buy OEM hardware, you're basically saying "I have all the expertise needed to select compatible software for this device".

Comment

• Oriphus
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Aug 2003

with FAT32 you are likely to run into problems with DVD ISO's so i presume that you use the File system instead?
          http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• damnidunno
            • May 2006

I have the same exact problem with mine.
            sometimes it reads them as blank cd's, but i can use bad copy pro to get the data from them.

i use dvd-r's and +rs to back up my data and i usually put everything on them. it used to read the ones i burned but sometimes it didnt. now it wont read them at all and it wont even read the ones i burnt before that it used to read.

My burner came with my sony vaio and i kinow its not a software or driver problem. it has to be something else
            im using windows xp pro with all the updates and so on.
            I use Nero, NTI Cd-DVD maker and all the other software that came with my vaio.

I know this is a old topic, but i searched google for solutions and i found this page. it seems alot of people are having the same problem with this certain burner, but not once has anyone posted a working solution.

Someone on another forum said that theirs worked after they switched the ATA cable, but i just tried that and it didnt work.

It doesnt matter wether the discs are dvd+r or dvd-r sometimes it works on either. I know the data works because it'll load on other pcs and sometimes even on mine. The dvd movies i burn off work fine on my dvd player.

What could be causing this?

Comment

• DrDoug
              • Jun 2006

have either of you re installed windows and not made sure the DVD burner is set to Ultra DMA Mode

I have read it can end up not in DMA without a reinstall, any way here is a copy & paste (not my work) of how to put to DMA and a note about master & slave settings

"Check your jumpers:
              Set the jumper on your DVD burner to Master and on your CD-ROM drive to Slave. Connect them to the Secondary IDE port with the other ribbon cable. Hard drives should be using an 80 way ribbon cable although the CD/DVD drives can use either 40 or 80 way.

In the BIOS set all to AUTO. In Windows, make sure DMA is enabled on all drives. Do this by going into Device Manager, select IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, select Primary IDE Channel, Properties, Advanced Settings and make sure both are set for DMA if Available. Then do the same in the Secondary IDE Channel. Hard drives should be running at Ultra DMA Mode 5 (ATA 100) and CD/DVD drives should be at Ultra DMA Mode 2 (ATA 33 or higher). "

Comment

• hollandpeter
                • Jul 2006

Same problem with Vaio and 106D burner

Hi, I have the same problem as damnidunno. I've tried the suggestions from DrDoug re chevking DMA etc. Has anyone had success?
                Thanks
                Peter

Comment

• dkp93
                  • Jul 2006

I have the same drive and I use WinXP Pro (SP1) with Fat32 system. I have used it to burn number of DVD. I face the same problem.

Now this drive reads at random, those very DVD that it could read earlier. I too have not seen a very viable work solution for this issue. I have tried Firmware upgrade till version 1.08, both the official Pioneer and unofficial versions, but no success. I tired changing the cable, drivers (by the way XP SP1 has updated drivers then non SP1 and I presume SP2 would have newer divers too). I tired the DMA solution. I have tired Nero and other Software too.

But this drive does not budge. Finally after careful cost analysis (time spent to repair/fix this drive, (I have already spent over one month struggling with this issue see my post to this forum http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=68267) and to buy a new one, the new drive option was cheaper and I have installed a new drive and it works like a charm and is reading and writing all media and all those old DVD's burned using this Pioneer DVR 106D. (Anyway newer burners are 16x in comparison to this one which I have reliably been able to use at the most 2x)

So for now reviving this Pioneer drive will be a long term project when I can see a better solution.

The info that I have I will share if anyone can figure out a better solution.

Flash Firmware Collection (no non-sense page): http://flashman.rpc1.org/

Another source of firmware: http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.ph...&manufactor=25

These Pioneer sites have some other tools too that can be useful (like DVD ROM utility etc)
                  Pioneer Official Firmware: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/content/.../software.html

Pioneer Japan Page:

Comment

Working...