Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moles42
    • Aug 2003

VOB file problem?

after just purchasing my very first dvd burner I wanted to burn the movies I had stored on my hard drive....but I'm thinking that I'm going to have problems.I only have 6 VOB files....1 IFO file...1 IDX file and 1 LST file and of courst one txt file.
    am I right in thinking that I need more files than this to be able to use dvdshrink which will enable me to burn the movie to one dvd?

any help would be much appreciated.

Mike.
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

The number of vob files you have depends on how many video files you have. If your video is one large file you will have 1 vob file for the correspondig video. Most dvd rippers split the video file into 1024mb by default (recommended). A standard dvd structure will consist of VOB, IFO, BUP files.

Comment

• ashy
      • Nov 2003

You have obviously ripped the VOBS to your hard drive using something like Smartripper in 'Movie' mode. you should have ripped them in 'backup' mode or 'file' mode.

Just delete all the files except the VOBS from the folder then download IFOEDIT.
      When you run IFOedit you will see a button at the bottom of the window which says 'Create IFO's'

Click it then just load the first VOB of the title set. Leave all options at default then run it.
      When finished you will have the necessary files to create a playable DVD that you can then either burn directly to disk or compress with DVDshrink.

Comment

• moles42
        • Aug 2003

thanx guys for the useful feedback...appreciate it.

Mike.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jan 2004

There are many easy to understand ripping guides on the net.

As far as rippers go, DVDDecrypter is the most popular and one of the three best decrypters and one of the best dvd burners.

Slightly better is SmartRipper v. 2.41 ( by Tron ). Will sometimes rip a disc that DVDDecrypter doesn't.

Finally, the best (but hardest to learn) is vstrip.

These are all freewares and work when the commercial rippers fail.

Read the available guides and you will see that they are easy to understand.
          Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• ashy
            • Nov 2003

These are all freewares and work when the commercial rippers fail.
            There are NO commercial rippers available (apparantly).
            It would be illegal to provide a commercial software which contained a ripping algorithm.

Commercial programs such as DVDXcopy supposedly use an internal software player to decode the DVD in a normal way and then re-write the DVD structure (which isn't illegal).

However this is debatable whether it is actually true or not.

Comment

Working...