Movie plays well on HD...but freezes on burned DVD-RW!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyberafv
    • Jul 2002

Movie plays well on HD...but freezes on burned DVD-RW!

OK, this was my formula:
    DVD Decrypter 3+ DVD Shrink(new version) + RecordNow Max 4.5+ Pengo DVD-RW =
    movie freezes every 10 seconds, but continues playing.

What went wrong?

I compressed that DVD using DVD Shrink and the files played well on HD but the movie freezes on a burned Pengo DVD-RW at 2X.
    I made another test creating an image using IMGTool 1.1 and
    burning in DVD Decrypter, but the results are the same: main movie freezing.

I used 2 different DVD-Player programs for testing my movie on HD and everything is OK., so...
    Is this brand -Pengo- so crappy?

I got Win XP Pro SP1 and latest ASPI(4.7) installed on my system,and i don't know if i need to:

a) Change my DVD-RW brand
    b) Update my DVD firmware, or
    c) try another burning software

In other words...it's so annoying!
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"I got Win XP Pro SP1 and latest ASPI(4.7) installed on my system,and i don't know if i need to:

a) Change my DVD-RW brand
    b) Update my DVD firmware, or
    c) try another burning software"

I would certainly look into doing what you suggested (a-c)

Comment

• ashy
      • Nov 2003

I would suggest changing the media first to a well known brand that is known to work well such as RITEK and also trying DVDR not DVDRW.

"I got Win XP Pro SP1 and latest ASPI(4.7) installed on my system,and i don't know if i need to:
      ASPI 4.7 is NOT recommended as it is known to cause too many problems. Go back to ASPI 4.6 which has proved to be more compatible.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

cyberafv,

Well, as you stated ".....formula".

You should try using the Classic version 0.91.1 (not the 1. version of IMG Tools).

Try burning with DVDdecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 and see if that disc plays.

Compliant dvd back-ups is a formula, as you stated, and as I also have stated. Some computer dvd player software has problems with some burning engines or even some software installed (such as record Now Max and Nero), so test your burns on a standalone and see if they work before trying something else (make sure standalone plays -RW).

The discs you use, have been favorably reported, so it is seems obvious the burn engine is @ fault.

The version of IMG Tools to burn with DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 is the Classic v. 0.91.1, try downloading and burn a disc and see if this solves your problem.

The 4.6 aspi layer is recommended for windows 98 but v. 4.71.2 is recommended for XP by Adaptec. v. 4.6 does work well on XP, though v. 4.71.2 produces slightly better results.

Try burning a disc by using the IMG Classic and 'decrypter with the spti layer checked, if you can't get the aspi 4.71.2 correctly installed with the free winzip.com beta file extractor, if necessary do a search on net for the free "force aspi" and install (if you don't already have it).

You are on the right track, though if this doesn't solve the playing problem , then it is either the discs @ fault or the player @ fault as this "system" does work for many.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• ashy
          • Nov 2003

The 4.6 aspi layer is recommended for windows 98 but v. 4.71.2 is recommended for XP by Adaptec. v. 4.6 does work well on XP, though v. 4.71.2 produces slightly better results.
          Just because adaptec recommends it, it doesn't mean it should be used.
          I suppose it depends which software you are using whether to install the new version or not however it is still reported by many others in other forums and not just this one that 4.6 is still the best version for most ASPI related software for Win98/ME and XP.

Some software will refuse to even work correctly with 4.7 such as Smartripper which will work fine with 4.6 on XP.
          DVDdecrypter will not recognize some drives with 4.7 in XP.
          Even the author of DVD decrypter LightningUK use to recommend not installing 4.7 on XP, but to use Nero aspi.

I do not know of one issue as yet using the 4.6 version on XP with ANY software, but I know of a few with the 4.7 version.

However if you are not experiencing any problems with your aspi layer then no need to change it, however the option to try it is always there.

Here is a thread from another forum, as you can see there are many problems with 4.7, but NOT one reported problem with 4.6:
          Last edited by ashy; 5 Feb 2004, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

Ash, seems you are trying to "dog me-out".

I have aspi v. 4.71.2 installed and SmartRipper works well.

And now, ashy, DVDDecrypter can use the XP layer SPTI if the poster has a problem with aspi v. 4.71.2.

Get off me, ashy, you are nothing but a b.... and I don't doubt that you are somehow recompensed to push commercial software as some posters @ other forums are.
            Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• cyberafv
              • Jul 2002

Thanks Quality's Proof for your suggestions. I already made a
              successful copy of "The Hulk" DVD using a Verbatim DVD+RW at
              2X and Record NowMax...and played well in my PC, so
              i'm gonna burn another copy but now using a DVD-R
              and a domestic DVD-Player to watch results.
              Again, thank you very much...

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

cyberafv,

You are welcome. If you have a problem, post and we will try to help.
                Rig :

Comment

• HDTiVo
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Feb 2004

I was having difficulties with the +RWs I was burning at MAX in 3.1.9 DVD Decrypter (rated 2.4X)

I switched to 2X speed in Decrypter from the drop down box in ISO Write mode and the RW came out fine. The funniest part is Decrypter still burned in 23 min at 2.4X! I lost no real time!

Anyway, the moral may be to try burning at a lower speed setting.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Jan 2004

That DVDDecrypter burns good video quality doesn't it?
                    Rig :

Comment

• weavy
                      • Jan 2004

Re: Movie plays well on HD...but freezes on burned DVD-RW!

Originally posted by cyberafv
                      OK, this was my formula:
                      DVD Decrypter 3+ DVD Shrink(new version) + RecordNow Max 4.5+ Pengo DVD-RW =
                      movie freezes every 10 seconds, but continues playing.

What went wrong?

ive been having problems the same but ive been doing some home work aswell and ive found out that it could be my dvd player it plays all formats but it is a couple of years old
                      it still works fine but the dvd freezez in the dvd player

ererything is ok on my harddrive and even in the Xbox but not in my dvd unit so i think
                      its worth checking out how old your dvd is or try it in a friends and c what happens.
                      ive not done this part yet

but good luck

Comment

Working...