Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • medic028
    • Feb 2004

DVDShrink Analysis is very slow- HELP

I just downloaded DVD shrink after trying DVD XCopy. I managed to backup a couple of DVDs using DVD shrink. Its a GREAT program, but all of a sudden the analysis time is extremely long. It went from doing a DVD in minutes to taking an hour or longer. Any ideas. Could the ribbon cable that connects to the drive have anything to do with this (40pin vs 80pin)? My burner, a master, is an NEC 1300a to a DVD rom set as the slave on the same IDE channel.
  • johnmalc
    • Jun 2003

Hi

If you have checked the "perform deep analysis" box, it takes MUCH longer but the quality is higher, that's the way I do it. The NEC 1300a runs at UDMA2/ATA33, so a "40" cable is fine, but no harm fitting an "80" as it clears up noise issues on the cable.
    DvD Shrink is good, isn't it!

Comment

• Quality's Proof
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jan 2004

Several things effect time required for analysis. You stated there was a sudden increase to a very long time.

Your problem would be much easier to solve if you would give the specific fact as to what sice the movies were prior to the drastic change ( "...extremely long.") and the size of the movie(s) after the change, also which were D-9's any D-5's, etc..

Also, what program do you rip with DVDDecrypter, SmartRipper, 'Shrink, etc.? Which version of DVDShrink are you using, current version is 3.1.4.?. Do you have an aspi layer installed correctly, etc.?

Also did you install (or download) any programs during such time?

Also what is the spec.'s of your rig? Look @ my signature for an example. Also, there are threads @ this forum about Nero causing some problems with 'Shrink.

Be glad to solve (if can), but specifics would make such easier.

As an example, with my rig, I can Analyze the usual D-9 in ~ 40 minutes and encode in as little as 8 - 12 minutes (been tweaking my rig, so faster times, usually). If you have a modest rig, you should have ~ the same results with 'Shrink as I do.

So post some specific info. and be glad to help you if can.
      Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• medic028
        • Feb 2004

Thanks for the reply. I can't find the box that you are referrring to. I checked in the preferences area. I am not awaer that any such box was ever changed. I do like DVD Shrink butr wish there was a way to keep the menu and chop the extra stuff when reauthoring a DVD.

Comment

• medic028
          • Feb 2004

Quality's Proof - Thanks for the reply!

The movies were DVD-9 the latest one is 5160MB. If I try to do the movie only by "reauthoring" it will need to compress the file. Because it needs to compress the file it will "analyse the movie. This is where It now takes so long. This used to take 30 - 45 minutes. Now the same movie will take 1.5 to 2 hours to analyse at the rate of 1,000KB/s. To my knowlege nothing has been changed on the rig at all!

I am using the latest version of DVDShrink (3.1.4) that I just downloaded tonight. Prior to that I was using 3.1.3 or whatever the last version that was out prior to 3.1.4.

My only other experience with this process has been with DVDXCOPY I have no experience with anyother DVD programs to date. I was very happy with DVDShrink after my expereience with DVDXCOPY and found no reason to use anything else.

Any help would be appreciated!

the "rig" is an AMD athalon thunderbird @1.2gig there is 384meg of ram this is all running on a KT&-raid Abit MB (the Raid is disabled at this time) a 60gig 7200 maxtor HD. there is an ATI 7500 all in wonder video capture card - OS=XP professional with Sp1 updated

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

medic028,

Your processor is fast enough, your Ram is between minimum and what really gives best results (512 mb), hdd is fast @ 7200 rpm, Xp with SP !, all good.

There is definitely something wrong as 3.1.4 is supposed to be somewhat improved than 3,1,1 (ripping engine). Have you tried the deep analysis with 'Shrink 3. 0 Beta 5 and run a comparison.

I do remember, vaguely, having same problem with one of the new versions (I forget which, but think it was v. 3.1.2. where a deep analysis and back-up would have taken more than 2 hrs.. I, of cource chose not to use the new version until a later release fixed that. I seem to remember that v. 3.1.4 has that bug fixed.

So, try with the ;Shrink you downloaded tonight and see if that works. Also, some persons have reported that if the deep analysis mode was checked and the long time to analyse was shown, to cancel and then hit back-up button again and problem solved (may not let you deep analyse again, though, so may not work. But you can always rip as an all files mode with dvddecrypter or 'Shrink v. 3. 0 Beta 5 (re-name folder to something other than title) w/ no compression 100 %b (will be a large file) and deep analysis option will be given again when you shrink with v. 3.1.4.

Your prior deep analysis time is about the same as my rig, so it's all a mater of finding the bug and squashing it. If you have Nero installed, Nero could be the culprit, as is reported on other threads. Definitely software conflict or some setting.
            Last edited by Quality's Proof; 5 Feb 2004, 06:07 PM.
            Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• medic028
              • Feb 2004

Quality's Proof,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the newest version with no better luck. I am going to try using a "bare" HD that only has shring, nero ans OS installed to see if this is software or hardware related.

If anyone has any other suggestions I will certainly listen and appreciate the help

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

It's software and/or settings problem, your hardware posts show hardware okay. Many persons don't want to give up Nero, but usual solution (along with a few other softwares such as DivX, etc.).
                Rig :

Comment

Working...