X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pokemauler
    • Feb 2004

Jittery video

Hi,
    I'm having a little problem. I'm using TMPGEnc to backup my dvd's.Under the load section I'm using the dvd template. I haven't touched anything else in settings(outside of setting the quality to the highest setting).
    Now after I do this I use DVDauthor to make the proper DVD files. After I burn it to a DVD however, the video jitters frequently. can anyone point me in the right direction? I assume its just some settings I need to change somewhere but I'm not sure where to go :/

thank you!
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

Are you using PAL settings for NTSC video source, or vice versa? Transcoding (or whatever the lingo is) can cause this problem.

Comment

• Pokemauler
      • Feb 2004

no, template is for NTSC

Comment

• Pokemauler
        • Feb 2004

I just found out something else rather strange.
        The jittering problem only seems to be in my dvd player out in the tv room.If I put the dvd in my dvdrom drive on my computer it works fine.

Any idea whats up with that? o.0

Comment

• megamachine
          Video Fiddler
          • Mar 2003

The reason I asked was that I had this same jittering effect, at least it seems to be same from reading your description, when I transcoded an NTSC DVD to PAL. It was only noticeable on my TV, not on the PC. Anyway, it might be something else, but I am not sure so maybe some one else can help out with this problem.

Comment

• Pokemauler
            • Feb 2004

still,none the less,thank you for trying to help ^^

Comment

• sfheath
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Sep 2003

the fact it shows steady on the PC (is that 'play from folder' in WinDVD/PowerDVD?) might implicate media quality. Have you tried another brand or better still try a RW?
              Have they all jittered with your present media?
              This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Pokemauler
                • Feb 2004

Yeah, I was thinking it might be the media too. I'll see about buying a different brand disk. I actually think I have an RW around here somewhere...maybe I'll try that first.

Another thing I'm thinking it might be is the field order setting. I had it set to bottom field first originally.Then I stumbled across a post on this forum that was the exact same problem I have. He changed his settings from bottom field first to top field first and it worked fine.So I guess I can give that a shot before trying a different brand of media.

Comment

• sfheath
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Sep 2003

We always like to hear what worked please.
                  This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• ashy
                    • Nov 2003

OK, do you live in a PAL country or NTSC?
                    If the jittering is regular and seems to be a short pause every second then this seems like a frame rate conversion problem.

What is the framerate of the source? If it's NTSC 23.976 then you will need to add pulldown to it before encoding it to 29.97.

If the source is 29.97 and you are encoding to 29.97 then it could be a field order problem.

The best way to encode an NTSC DVD and save yourself ALL the problems associated with field orders, interlacing artifacts and playback problems is to use the 'ForcedFilm' option in DVD2AVI.

This will return the NTSC DVD back to it's original 23.976 progressive state.
                    Then simply select the '3:2 pulldown when playback' option in TMPG and '23.976 fps (29.97 fps internally)' setting before encoding or better encode the DVD at 23.976 then use 'Pulldown.EXE' to add the 3:2 pulldown to the file to make it a compliant 29.97 fps DVD.

Comment

Working...