X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODIZZLE
    • Feb 2004

Burning with nero sometimes works?

Hey everyone,
    Yeah I'm new to the forum, but I have been doing alot of reading on backing up all the DVDs I own.

I use DVD Shrink to encode my movies just as shown on the guide.
    Then I burn the files just as shown in the Nero Burning Rom guide.

But 1 out of 5 dvds I burn will not work on my Samsung dvd player but everything works on my PC. Has anyone run into this problem? What should I do? I don't want to keep wasting DVD+Rs.
  • ODIZZLE
    • Feb 2004

Really need some feedback!

Comment

• Quality's Proof
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jan 2004

Since you asked twice,

Do post brand and model of dvd burner, dvd+r's, O.S. (98, XP, etc.), Processor speed, hdd size and speed, Ram amount and model of your Samsung dvd player. The more info. you initially post, the sooner your problem is solved, usually.

Look @ the discs that do not play and @ a disc(s) that does/do play. Do so under a strong light, if you have a flashlight handy, use that also under a table lamp for an even better view.

Notice if there are any "spots" on the non-playing discs where the dye is of a lighter (or darker color)......some of the "border-line" discs are this way (Optodisc, etc.), where a ~ 20 % failure rate is common with some batchees. Also, notice @ the extreme outer edge of the disc if there are places where the dye is missing (tiny little spots which might seems as if flaked off)., again this is a "tell" of border-line discs.

Since you have that ~ 20 % "failure" rate, either the discs are @ fault or the burning engine is at fault, it seems.
      If the discs have that "flaking" @ the outer edge and you can't get a refund, lower the size of the burn by 60 mb (should be enough) unless flakes extend 1/4" or more, then you may have to lower burn size somewhat even to 400 mb less. But, get a refund, if you can.

You can also try burning with a different burning softeware, if discs appear okay. Try the freewares IMG Tools Classic v. 0.91.1 from : Coujo.de and the DVDDecryptor v. 3.1.9.0. IMG Classic has an easy to understand guide included in download. IMG Classic will automatically make an ISO image of the 'Shrink files and DVDDecrypter will automatically burn that ISO'ed movie.

If your burns improve, then prior burn engine @ fault, if not fault then it would seem to be dvd+r's quality too low.

As you did not post the make and model of your dvd burner, this is the best solution I have now. Post and we will try to help you.
      Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• ODIZZLE
        • Feb 2004

Thanks Proof, I have a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon XP 2400, 2Ghz, 488 Mb(133) ram, and that's all i see in general info.

My burner is a HP DVD Writer 300c, andI'm using imation DVD+R discs.

Also my roomate has made a few dvds with Nero express and not Nero burning Rom and so far all of his DVDs work. The only reason I don't use express because I think it doesn't uncheck the Joliet box and I have no idea what the setting for the ISO restrictions are. I read that if you don't uncheck the Joliet box that your dvd may not work in all dvd players, but like I said there hasn't been a problem with the express copies yet. I quess I just need to know what it there is a sure correct way to burn my back up?

Comment

• Quality's Proof
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jan 2004

Your hardware spec.'s are okay as is your amount of Ram mb.

There are many more -R dvd players than there are +R players....do you know of a friend, relative, etc. which has a +R player to test the 1 out of 5 discs which won't play on your player and see if the +R discs will play on their players? Could you test these discs on a PS2 or XBox?

Imation did have a reputation for undependable burns. Recently that was supposed to have been a thing of the past. Unless these are "borderline" discs or "borderline" burns, it would seem the standalone dvd player is at fault.

You could try to visually inspect the discs for some of the tells of defective discs (which do burn but aren't readable on high quality "spec." standalones.). Take the offending discs and hold them under a lamp with a good light source (if you have a flashlight, use that also to extra help the visual exmination.

Determine if there are any "spots" on the discs of varying shades (they are usually somewhat oblong in shape), by slowly tilting the disc "from" you at an angle to where the light begins to reflect. Also check the outer edge of the disc's dye for any missing dye (would look a if tiny flakes of dye was missing or would even look like a chip, etc.).

If you see the varying dye colors , they appear as shaded areas or of lighter color ( these varying shade "spots" can range in size from ~ size of pencil point to even larger than a half-dollar), then your disc is defective.

If you see the edge problems, then your discs are defective.

If these discs aren't defective, then the burn failed, even though Nero reported success. If so, post and we will try to help you solve this problem.

We really need to rule disc compatibility out or in before solving, because of variables.

I will tell you about the Imation discs, I don't intend to buy any because of their history of failures.
          Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...