Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sc69
    • Feb 2004

Slooow read w/ BTC DVDRW IDE 1008

First off, thanks to all who make this and other helpful sites, well, helpful

Second, no I do not have a DVD-ROM drive, didn't think it was any beeeg deal if not going direct.

Finally got stuff to rip'n'snort (DVDShrink, DVDDecrypter, Nero, Nero Express) but things are soooo sloooow on the ripping end. At least on the "read the target" steps. Seems limited to a tad over 2X.

Nero CD Speed Test shows that a read speed of 2.1-2.3X has the 950mHz CPU maxed out.

Drive specs show DVD read at 12X.

Is this as good as it gets?

OTOH it burned one of OM's crappy 1X cheapo DVD-R disc at 2.4X.

One aside, noted in forums and personally that Nero OEM will only work w/ the drive it came with (mine didn't), however, the Nero Express bundled w/ the Nero5 OEM works fine. It seems to me that NE does pretty much anything Nero Burn does. Am I missing something here?

TIA,

Steve
    Last edited by sc69; 10 Feb 2004, 09:46 PM.
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

Well, on the D-5 dvd movies, you don't have to use DVDShrink, and so you can use DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 to rip and burn those D-5 dvd movies with as you don't have a "processor maxed-out" concern. If you have a 5400 rpm drive you should see a fully ripped D-5 (store bought dvd movie) in ~ 7 - 8 minutes.

There are many threads about some of the DVDShrink/Nero ripping speed problems. You should be getting a significantly faster ripping speed than what you reported in your post (unless dvdrw is maxed @ that speed by a setting, etc.), unless Nero or something else is limiting such..

So, post more of your rig's spec.'s, such as : O.S. (98, Xp, etc.), aspi layer installed and version (if so), Ram mb amount, drive brand and model firmware version, wheter UDMA is enabled , etc., and then there is more of a chance of a quicker solution if such exists. Some persons are satisfied with rip speeds slower than yours, so don't sweat it.

On a D-9 dvd movie most all (if not all) drives read such at a significantly slower maximum speed than they do on D-5's.
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• sc69
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Quality's Proof Well, on the D-5 dvd movies, you don't have to use DVDShrink, and so you can use DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 to rip and burn those D-5 dvd movies with as you don't have a "processor maxed-out" concern. If you have a 5400 rpm drive you should see a fully ripped D-5 (store bought dvd movie) in ~ 7 - 8 minutes.
      The DVDs were the from the two disk boxed set of _HP & the Chamber of Secrets_. Pretty sure they're D-9s as the content is 7-8GBs.

Drive is WD1200BB-00CJA1. 120GB 7200rpm

There are many threads about some of the DVDShrink/Nero ripping speed problems.
      I know. I think I've read most if not all of them, here and a couple other sites. Til now I haven't been able to find a solution there. Your clues have helped.

You should be getting a significantly faster ripping speed than what you reported in your post (unless dvdrw is maxed @ that speed by a setting, etc.), unless Nero or something else is limiting such..
      I agree, and certainly hope to.

As for the DVDRW being maxed out at a DVD read speed of 2.1-2.3X by a setting I don't know right off, but will keep it in mind.

I just ran a FreshDiagnose Benchmark on the drive and got the same result as with the Nero CD Speed Test, 2.29X. Arrrggghhhhh!!!

So, post more of your rig's spec.'s, such as : O.S. (98, Xp, etc.), aspi layer installed and version (if so), Ram mb amount, drive brand and model firmware version, wheter UDMA is enabled , etc., and then there is more of a chance of a quicker solution if such exists.
      Windows 2000 w/ SP2 (and all critical updates as of a week ago)
      RAM - 384 MB
      HD - WD1200BB-00CJA1. 120GB 7200rpm
      DVDRW - BTC (boxed as Pacific Digital) DVDRW IDE 1008 (FW Ver. 0055)

As for aspi, is the following what we're looking for:

In the RoxioShared\ - wnaspi32.ddl 4.5.7.1008

In the Nero\ - Wnaspi32.ddl 2.0.1.59

In the winnt\system32 - iaspipe.ddl 5.0.2134.1

UDMA - In looking into answering your question I ran up on a ref to PIO v DMA, first elsewhere and then here. FYI the following was cribbed from elsewhere:

"DMA is a lot better than other transfer modes on IDE devices, not only because PIO burns CPU but because of the cable timings. IDE normally goes up to PIO4, PIO4 is equivalent to MWDMA2. IDE DMA then goes up to UDMA133/150 with SATA. So PIO limits you to a fair bit under 0Mbytes/second, while UDMA133 generally comes down to your PCI bus capability."

Following up on that:

HD is 1st IDE Master (no slave) set on UDMA
      DVDRW is 2nd IDE Master (no slave) *WAS* set on PIO (Thank you Willy Windoz once more...... Arrrgggghhhhh!! an the horse ya came in on....)
      That gave the extant read speeds of 2-2.3X in tests and actual use.

It's NOW set to UDMA -

Following was w/ a D-5. I'll run it with the D-9 later (see below).

FreshDiag now shows 3.08 for a 20 sec. test.

Nero shows a test that starts at 3.43 and rose to 8.27 for an ave. of 6.19. Graph straight lines it at a constant slope.

Additional Info from Nero test:

Seek Times: 135 / 161 / 241 (ms.) @ Random / 1/3 / Full

% CPU: 12 / 22 / 34 / 33 (@ 1 / 2 / 4 / 8X)

Note that the earlier test showed a 100% CPU @2.3X.

I'd say right there ya got a pretty good chunk of the problem without even trying to burn.

Continuing:

Some persons are satisfied with rip speeds slower than yours, so don't sweat it.
      Having read of a couple users with systems very similar (or lesser) capacity/setup to mine were doing better, it's hard to accept that there's not something that's fixable. As it would seem to be per above.

On a D-9 dvd movie most all (if not all) drives read such at a significantly slower maximum speed than they do on D-5's.
      Now for D-9 test. Results follow:

FreshDiag now shows 3.12X for a 20 sec. test.

Nero shows a test that starts at 3.48X and steady rose to 8.1 at about the 2/3s point. It then took a sharp negative spike to 7, back to 8 and then steady declined to 3.46 for an ave. of 6.08 (Type P-CAV). Seemed odd, but wait there's more.

Additional Info from Nero test:

Seek Times: 125 / 156 / 55 (ms.)

Following might shead light on the run up to the 2/3s point and then decline:

% CPU: 4 / 8 / 100 / 100 (@ 1/2/4/8X)

Note that the earlier test showed a 100% CPU @2.3X.

I wish it showed %CPU on the graph.

Another odd deal is it still says it's a 4.7GB, but "Properties" shows it at 7.8GB.

I'll try to rip the 2nd disk again and get back with results. If anything else comes to mind please post reply or ref a link to answer, I'll check back when I can.

I noted your comments re progs such as Nero mucking up things, but I think I'll leave them on and see what I get first.

Regards, Thanks, & of course TIA,

Steve

Comment

• ashy
        • Nov 2003

You may find that your drive has been limited to 2x ripping by the manufacturers.
        Most of them do nowadays as an agreement I think to keep the RIAA happy to deter DVD ripping.

However if you can find a patched firmware (try http://rpc1.org) it may lift the limitation and allow ripping at it's maximum speed, usually 12x.

However I don't think the BTC's are locked to 2x. It is more likely your drive is in PIO mode.
        You need to go into device manager and enable UDMA mode if necessary.
        Last edited by ashy; 11 Feb 2004, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jan 2004

Your rig's spec.'s are okay on the hardware and have you downloaded the windows updates (since you installed DVDRW drive (let microsoft scan and see if their is a patch updated driver, etc.)?

As to an aspi layer, many people report aspi level of NT as not very good, so you could try the free solutions "force aspi" (do a yahoo search, link at forum but forgot where) and also visit Adaptec and download the version Adaptec recommends for NT. If you are only going to burn with DVDDecrypter, you do not need an aspi, as DVDdecrypter can use the SPTI of NT, 2000, XP to burn with. But for many the aspi layer is a good idea and many report very good burns with such aspi layers.

Sometimes, on a new drive install (the dvdrw), Windows will do the install for you and report drive is ready to use. Many then open device managers and do a double-check of Windows assurances (two messages, minimum about drive status) and check that drive is enabled and working properly and also check the device manager's long list of devices for UDMA ENABLED/No Conflicts.

Okay for a D-9, you are limited by the DVD read speed of 2/3 of your max....if a 12X, then Max read is usually 8.2X or 8.3X This is of course max speed and almost like "burst" speed, it will hit that speed, but only momentarily and infrequently if only once during a rip and sometimes not on some discs. On the D-5's same thing, momentarysprint to 12.3X and that's it.

The average rip speed of 6.2X is fine on a D-9, especially.
          As to determining the capacity, content of a disc....DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 can show you (In ISO Mode Read) the size of the content and whether layer 1 ( D-5 ) or Layer2 ( D - 9 ) in the scroll down on right side of interface....no guessing.

The analyzing/ripping speed of 'Shrink is limited by cpu speed....on a very large (worst case scenario) D-9 your rig should do the deep analysios, encode process in about 1 hour 50 minutes. Most 'Shrink jobs should be done in an hour and a half......without over-clocking your processor or upgrading. Your rig is fast enough, just don't expect to back-up more than one or two D-9's each night.

I'd say you have things together pretty well as long as you have the aspi layer installed , force aspi installed and SmartRipper (future use). The only other thing is correct media (DVD blanks). Most of the dvd back-ups in the US and Canada are the DVD-R's as there are more standalone DVD-R capable dvd standalones and burners.

So, what type player you have? Is it -R compatible. brand, model. Your rig's Ram mb is enough, it is @ that "sweet spot".

I'd say you get some good DVD-R discs which are recommended for your player and for our burner and then rip and burn.

For media and player compatibility, visit dvdrhelp.com and for burner/media compatibility, visit meritline come for their guaranteed media. Write down which is at least site and which they agree is compatible and, well.......

Compliant dvd movie back-ups is a formula. Was good info. you posted, right to the point.

DVDShrink.info has very easy to understand 'Shrink guides, very easy to understand.

Any problem, do post and we will try to help if we can.
          Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...